Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
glenhill68
Expert
Message 1 of 5

Infinity Speed Drop Again

Hi,

When I joined BT last May I was getting 49mb speed then from about August this dropped to around 41mb. I was generally told this might be cross talk so that was that.

I have then noticed over the last few weeks my speed had gone up to 46mb which was good but then today it is now down to 37mb. What will be causing this?

Information for Helpdesk agents
When contacting the BT Broadband helpdesk, the agent might ask you for details about your BT Home Hub. This page contains all of the information they are likely to request.

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068543+NQ60500472
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.204.1.11 (Type A) Last updated 10/05/16
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. DSL uptime:0 days, 00:12:37
6. Data rate:6984 / 39732
7. Maximum data rate:7131 / 52734
8. Noise margin:6.2 / 6.3
9. Line attenuation:33.6 / 23.5
10. Signal attenuation:33.1 / 21.2
11. Data sent/received:29.3 MB / 238.1 MB
12. Broadband username:bthomehub@btbroadband.com
13. BT Wi-fi:Yes
0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
python
Contributor
Message 2 of 5

Re: Infinity Speed Drop Again

Hmmmm.

Simililar thing has happened to me recently.

I live mid-way between 2 cabinets so I was never going to get max speed.

For the last couple of years I finally finished up with a speed of around 33mb download. Then around June this year the speed jumped to 37mb and was very stable, a few weeks later the speed jumped to 39mb, wow, I thought this was great.

This lasted until late november and then the speed dropped to my current 33mb.

the only thing I noticed was at the time the speed dropped my isp changed from a 86.xxx.xxx.xx to a 81.xxx.xxx.xx

I week ago I installed a ASUS DSL AC 68U, previously I used a Netgear, but must admit the ASSUS is the better router.

Will have to wait and see if things improve again, unless someone can put some light on the problem.

--------------------
Jim
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 3 of 5

Sounds very similar to me. My IP is still 86.

Let me know how you get on with the router. BT sent me replacement Hub5 but this has made no difference. BT never seem to give an adequate reason.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

IP address is completely irrelevant when it comes to the connection speed.

The IP address is allocated AFTER the modem syncs and agrees a speed with the DSLAM.

VDSL, like ADSL is rate adaptive. The line will only sync at the best speed it can do at the time the connection is made. If there's noise on the line or something else causing the line to be unstable then DLM will increase the noise margin to help protect the line from said noise, however as a result there will be a slight loss of connection speed.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
glenhill68
Expert
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the reply.

In just a few months i have gone from 48mb down to 42mb then upto 47mb and down to 37mb from a week ago.

Not sure what is cauisng this.

0 Ratings