cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
deadelvis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 21 of 24

Re: Infinity Speed Lower Than Estimated

John46 How convenient for BT that their estimate is so much higher so it promotes sales. I`m being sarky again cheers
I`m not really that bothered,i remember dialup days of 1p a minute.
I started on Amiga`s when an image was formed on the screen line by line like those pictures from the space exploring craft.
Compared with that my current 40mbps is fantastic.
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 24

@deadelvis wrote:
It begs the question ray,would i have signed up if i had been given a realistic download speed ? I thought it was illegal to shortchange people
kinda like stealing from them

You would get the same speed regardless of what ISP you choose because the all, apart from Virgin, use the same infrastructure. Its the wires, length etc from the cabinet to your master socket that ultimately decides the speed you'll get and is an unknown quantity until it is all connected up. Instead of estimate they should call it a guestemate.

While some may sympathise with you about getting lower speeds I'm sure you would not be on here demanding that you be given your estimated speed if it was faster than was initially estimated.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 23 of 24

How convenient for BT that their estimate is so much higher so it promotes sales.

I agree in a way.  The main problem is that BT don't make it clear enough that this is an estimate.  In fact, they don't seem to say it at all.  Any reasonable person viewing their page woule think that was the speed you will get.  Unfortunately ASA and Ofom seem to have very odd ideas of what is reasonable, and accept lines and misrepresentation as an expected part of advertising.

BT should point that out very clearly, and also point out very clearly what might happen when you don't get that estimate.

As john has said, statistically more people get more than then estimate than get less.  And that was even before they recently changed all the estimates, most of them being lowered, even though the actual speeds had not changed.  I was estimated 58, now estimated 52, getting 69.

0 Ratings
deadelvis
Aspiring Contributor
Message 24 of 24

They call it miss-selling in the banking sector.
Are we in line for some compensation,i think not.
0 Ratings