cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Infinity Speeds Slowly Falling

Hi there

i have previously found this forum really helpful in solving my broadband woes 

My original speeds were 25 down 6 up, this has slowly dropped over the past few weeks to 18 down 5 up

The current situation means I have to work from home. I stream video and the speed is getting perilously low and unusable. 
How would I go about resetting at the exchange to recalibrate the line ? 
Also is Fttp on demand an option ?

many thanks in advance. 

stats as follows

Telephone Number on Exchange CHALFONT ST GILES is served by Cabinet 3
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream HandbackThreshold(Mbps) WBC FTTC Availability Date WBC SOGEA Availability Date Left in JumperHigh Low High Low        VDSL Range A (Clean)

VDSL Range B (Impacted)

3522.37.1518AvailableAvailable--
34.92074.716.5AvailableAvailable--
Featured Products Downstream Line Rate(Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range (Mbps) Availability Date FTTP Install ProcessFTTP on Demand
33030--Available--
ADSL Products Downstream Line Rate (Mbps) Upstream Line Rate (Mbps) Downstream Range(Mbps) ADSL Availability Date WBC SOADSL Availability Date Left in JumperWBC ADSL 2+ADSL MaxWBC Fixed RateFixed Rate
Up to 2--1.5 to 4AvailableAvailable--
Up to 1.5--1 to 3.5AvailableAvailable--
1----AvailableAvailable--
1----Available----
Observed Speeds VDSLMax Observed Downstream SpeedMax Observed Upstream SpeedObserved Date
2020-09-21
Other Offerings Availability DateVDSL MulticastADSL Multicast
Available
Available
Premise Environment StatusBridge TapVRINTE FacePlateLast Test Date
N
N
N
16-09-2020
Exchange Product Restrictions StatusFTTP Priority ExchangeWLR WithdrawalSOADSL Restriction
N
N
Y

The premise/line is associated with exchange which is NOT part of current fibre priority p

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Infinity Speeds Slowly Falling

@Finalcuts 

Have you checked for noise on your phone line, that is the most common cause of slow speed?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

FTTP on demand is an expensive BT Business customer only option.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Thanks fir the reply. Yes noise has been the problem in the past. Old multi core cable from the cabinet to our rural community. Line is quiet at the moment. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

@Finalcuts wrote:

Thanks fir the reply. Yes noise has been the problem in the past. Old multi core cable from the cabinet to our rural community. Line is quiet at the moment. 

It could be intermittent, and that will impact on your connection speed.

If you can post the connection information from the BT Home Hub, including both actual and max connection speeds, and the noise margins, then it would give forum members a better idea of how your connection is performing.

It could just be an increase in crosstalk from other customer lines which is reducing the available bandwidth.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

I have a home hub 4 so I’m not sure those stats are available to me. 
yes in the past the noise on the line has been intermittent, it’s been stable for several years. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

@Finalcuts wrote:

I have a home hub 4 so I’m not sure those stats are available to me. 
yes in the past the noise on the line has been intermittent, it’s been stable for several years. 

So you must also have a white Openreach modem as well, as the HH4 does not work with VDSL?

If that is the case, and you are still in a contract, then you can ask for a replacement home hub, and you will not need to use the Openreach modem.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

I do indeed. 

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

@Finalcuts wrote:

I do indeed. 

Have you considered asking for a replacement home hub, as the modem would not then be needed?

Alternatively, you can buy your own router for about £35. Either way, you would be able to see your connection information.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Momentarily the Smart hub2 popped up as free in an offer for upgrade. I wasn’t quick enough. So yes I have considered it. One less box and wall wart too !  Thanks again. 

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 13

@Finalcuts wrote:

Momentarily the Smart hub2 popped up as free in an offer for upgrade. I wasn’t quick enough. So yes I have considered it. One less box and wall wart too !  Thanks again. 

If you rang BT Customer options on 0800 800 030, they should offer you one just for the cost of postage.