cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 11

Infinity Speeds

Can someonce quickly put the reasons very different speeds would be given for broadband speeds and why different speeds are not given different prices..hardly seems fair for people getting hafl a service paying full price..

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity Speeds

a) speeds are dependant on quality of line and distance from the cabinet.

b) The cost of supply is exactly the same.

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 3 of 11

The cost of supply is exactly the same.

I almost agree.  Depends a bit what you mean by 'supply'.  The cost of supplying the connection is the similar.  Actually, it might well be higher in areas where the speeds are lower, as there is more wire to be installed and maintained.

However, there is an element of extra cost for high speed lines because of the extra bandwidth needed both within the BT network, and with the peering arrangements outside for which BT has to pay.

The differences are probably small enough that the extra accountancy costs managing details of the real costs would mean it was more expensive for everyone, as well as more confusing.  BT have enough problems already getting their current ordering system working right, and metering for those on limited contacts.  Differential pricing would give them whole new areas to get things wrong.

Deathtrap3000
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 11

While I agree with you on the points you raise sjtp, the part about extra wiring and maintenance costs aren't really relevant as the cables would still be there regardless of there being broadband as they still have to provide a phone service. Only real difference is the time it takes to repair longer lines.

0 Ratings
mice470
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

I have just had Infinity installed and it seems to have slowed down my system instaed of increasing the speed.  It frequently takes 5 or 6 minutes to load a web page and has made my Hotmail impossible to run.  Is there something simple I am missing?

0 Ratings
Techy_Expert
Contributor
Message 6 of 11

@mice470 wrote:

I have just had Infinity installed and it seems to have slowed down my system instaed of increasing the speed.  It frequently takes 5 or 6 minutes to load a web page and has made my Hotmail impossible to run.  Is there something simple I am missing?

Have you tried changing the DNS? Say to google 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

0 Ratings
mrcheeky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

im so lost new to the forums hi btw im getting a ping latacny of between 19 and 37 anything i can do about this please 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 8 of 11

Ping will always vary, especially to different servers.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
mrcheeky
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

ty for the relpy its been like this for 6 weeeks is that normal and like ia all the time do i have any options 

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 11

How are you connecting wirelessly or with ethernet cable?

Is this to the same server?

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.