cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hifistud
Aspiring Expert
Message 31 of 36

Re: Infinity Twitch Streaming issue, who has it?

We stream a lot - as internet broadcasters - and we moved away from the Twitch/Justin platform, as it has been plagued with this problem for months and months.
0 Ratings
SteveBB
Aspiring Expert
Message 32 of 36

I have the same problem, I can watch in medium quality (which is horrible) but as soon as I put it to high or source it just keeps skipping constantly and I get the pop up to lower my quality. My connection is fast enough to stream 1080p (or at least it should be), so I'm not sure why I struggle to stream 720p on Twitch.tv. There has to be a problem somewhere between Twitch and BT.

Millions of people use Twitch worldwide, so I'm guessing a fair amount of BT customers use it so it would be nice if BT and Twitch could work together to fix the issues which have been ongoing for months.

As for streams working on mobile devices, that's because Twitch has seperate servers for mobile traffic which is considerably less.

0 Ratings
Ki55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 33 of 36

Exactly the same problem here. I was previously with another ISP (IDNet) and actually had a slower connection (8Mb instead of the 9.5Mb I now receive with BT) but I could stream 1080p without any issues whatsoever. Since migrating to BT all I see is lag on 'Medium', 'High' and 'Source'.  It's the same on both my PC and my laptop on an ethernet connection. It appears to be some kind of routing (peering?) issue between Twitch and BT.  I hope BT manage to sort this out.

0 Ratings
Samehsameh
Message 34 of 36

I also have the same issue, medium fine, high and source stutter every 2-3 seconds for a second making it unbearable to watch. Infinity 2 consistently speedtest at 70mbs+ on various servers also consistently upload at 15mbs+.

I find it hard to believe that twitch as a service would be as popular as it is if everyone in Europe was having such an unpleasant experience watching high+. Not only this but upload to the twitch servers seems throttled, i am struggling to sustain 3mbs to any twitch server. It has to be a routing issue if it was a twitch server issue it would be at its worst during peak times, it's not it sucks equally at any time of the day. I can run 5 instances of the same stream at medium similtaneously and none of them would lag but one at high on its own and it will, the total through put for 5 medium streams has got to be higher than 1 high stream.

We need to know how to properly go about solving this issue, phoning BT support will probably just get you to some first tier support following a script telling you to restart your home hub etc (haven't tried don't want to waste my time) any of the mods know how to get through to a high tier technical support?
0 Ratings
LindaS
Aspiring Contributor
Message 35 of 36

@Ki55 wrote:

Exactly the same problem here. I was previously with another ISP (IDNet) and actually had a slower connection (8Mb instead of the 9.5Mb I now receive with BT) but I could stream 1080p without any issues whatsoever. Since migrating to BT all I see is lag on 'Medium', 'High' and 'Source'.  It's the same on both my PC and my laptop on an ethernet connection. It appears to be some kind of routing (peering?) issue between Twitch and BT.  I hope BT manage to sort this out.

How long ago was it when you switched to BT? It may have just been a coinsidence, Twitch worked fine on BT (and most other ISPs across the EU) up until July 2013, it's been getting worse since then. Unfortunately Twitch support appears to be completely useless and/or to simply not care about EU viewers/streamers. 

I experience the same problem with Twitch (in the UK) on BT, Virgin and Sky. I travel around the EU and have had the same problem on various internet providers (most are 100Mbit+) in Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Spain, etc. I would say the problem lies solely with Twitch. 

Ki55
Aspiring Contributor
Message 36 of 36

@LindaS wrote:

@Ki55 wrote:

How long ago was it when you switched to BT? It may have just been a coinsidence, Twitch worked fine on BT (and most other ISPs across the EU) up until July 2013, it's been getting worse since then. Unfortunately Twitch support appears to be completely useless and/or to simply not care about EU viewers/streamers. 

I experience the same problem with Twitch (in the UK) on BT, Virgin and Sky. I travel around the EU and have had the same problem on various internet providers (most are 100Mbit+) in Sweden, Finland, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Spain, etc. I would say the problem lies solely with Twitch. 

I switched in July and it may be a coincidence, but I'm not entirely convinced. It was streaming poorly literally the day I migrated over and it had been fine the day before so who knows. I do know Twitch have had a lot of problems recently though and many are experiencing problems across a range of different ISPs. I'm not sure if BT are actually 'peered' with Twitch though? I've read replies from Twich support staff suggesting there's little they can do to help unless the ISP in question is peered with them?

0 Ratings