Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adamd53
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Infinity and HH5 issue

Hi 

I had Infinity installed around 2 months ago and recieved the HH5 without a seperate modem. Like many people on this site I have been plagued with constant disconnection issues with the HH not stayinig connencted for longer than a few hours.

I purchased myself a ECI modem from a popular auction site which solved the problem with the diconnections but also lead to a drop in speed. With the home hub I had a IP profile of 12mb and would recieve around 11mb. However with the ECI modem I only recieve around 8mb and although that might not seem like alot it does make a difference especially when downloading larger files.

Is there anything I can do? Have I purchased the wrong modem or would I have been better of with the Huawei instead. 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Infinity and HH5 issue

It may be that DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has lowered your speeds because of the disconnections. Now that they have stopped your speed should slowly start to rise. This could but necessarily wil take two to three weeks to happen.

Your speeds however are very low for Infinity. Infinity is normally not sold as Infinity if the attainable speed is below 15Mbps.

Can you run this checker and post back a screen shot of the results

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

and use this speed tester then carry out the further diagnostics and post back a screen shot of all the results including your IP profile for up and down. This test must be done with a wired connection.

http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

If you had the  Homehub 5 connected up you could have posted the stats from 1-12 by logging onto the homehub management pages then troubleshooting > helpdesk. http://bthomehub.home/
 but as you have it running through a modem you will not be able to do that.

0 Ratings
adamd53
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Ok Im actually on Unlimted faster broadband as opposed to infinity. My modem has been connected for three weeks now and the speed has stayed pretty much the same so I would have thought that DLM should have taken affetct by now. 

photo btdslcheck_zps0853a674.png photo Bthub_zps94338cae.png
0 Ratings
adamd53
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

I also just quickly put the home hub back in withou the ECI modem and these are the results I got straight away.

photo Bthh5_zps865b7a1b.png photo bthh5speed_zps96478b5d.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

You must be a fair distance from the cabinet. As you can see with the HH5 connected you are receiving almost the max that your line can support so the problem, apart from the low speeds to start with, must be somewhere between the Openreach modem and the Homehub.

When you are using the separate modem have you tried a different cable between the modem and the homehub?

0 Ratings
adamd53
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Yeha I am pretty far from the exchnage think im right on the cut of point for fibre. I have tried a different cat 5 cable and I still get the same speed. Think the only other thing it could be is the router. I have a different one a can try over the weekend so will give that a go. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

Is this your cabinet? http://goo.gl/maps/Avmo3
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
adamd53
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

I honestly dont know it could be although that looks like quite a distance from my house. I tried to follow the bt line that goes to the telegraph pole outside my house but could not see a cabinet.

0 Ratings