cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wilsibabes
Message 1 of 20

Infinity availability lies

I have been waiting patiently for BT to provide infinity to my house for over 12 months. The infinity checker has been saying it will be available next month for the past 12 months, 12 months of lies.

I even wrote to the chief executive last month and I was assured it would be available By the end of October, another lie.

I have now had enough of waiting and lies and I will do the only thing that will make a difference, move to another provider.

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 20

Re: Infinity availability lies

Hi wilsibabes,

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband Scheme is being rolled out, done and managed by Openreach for ALL ISPs/CPs so BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP whom operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get fibre broadband (FTTC or FTTP or equivalent) as that is up-to Openreach.

For an FTTC exchange area

FTTC fibre broadband such as BT Infinity (upto 80mbps) needs your street cabinet (pcp) to be upgraded with a FTTC (Dslam) cabinet as well as your local exchange to be Fibre enabled before you can get fibre broadband.

Not all the cabinets in a FTTC fibre enabled exchange area will be upgraded, so some areas in that exchange area will be unable to get fibre broadband at this current time.

If there is no mention of WBC FTTC when checking the BT Wholesale Database then unfortunately it looks like your cabinet isn't currently in Openreach's fibre broadband rollout plan. 

Click here to see what your looking for in the BT Wholesale Database

The Openreach Superfast Fibre Broadband rollout plans are still being added too. 

So your cabinet may be upgraded in the future, though there is no public time scale on when that will be.

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.

• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.

• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.

• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.

• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

There isn't a adequate power supply

• Health and safety issues

• No ducting or inadequate ducting

plus lots more.

The build of the fibre broadband infrastructure in the area isn't always easy and can be very complex.

For a property with an  Exchange Only Line

The way to tell if you are on a EO line is by going to the BT Wholesale Database and for your landline number if the results come back with the following at the of the grid "Telephone Number (Number) on Exchange (Exchange)" without saying a cabinet number then your likely to be on a EO exchange.

Properties with EO (Exchange Only) lines can't currently get FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) such as BT Infinity as your line isn't connected to a FTTC Dslam cab.

There are different stages to the development of the fibre infrastructure in the UK.

Customers with EO Lines currently will not be able to have fibre broadband as your line isn't connected to a cabinet, unless your area is FTTP enabled. In these instances Openreach plan to connect some areas that have EO lines with either FTTP or other fibre technologies in the future.

There have been some cases where Openreach have installed cabinets outside the exchange.

Other Information

You can try emailing NGA Openreach via nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk with your landline number, address and pcp(cabinet) number to see if they have any more information regarding upgrading your cabinet. It may take a week or so to get a reply.

In areas where the commercial Superfast-Openreach fibre broadband rollout will not be able to reach, your local council or govenment BDUK superfast broadband rollout scheme may be able to help. For more information on your BDUK superfast broadband rollout scheme, you will need to contact your council or government.

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

You can register your interest for Fibre Broadband such as BT Infinity by going to http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The Superfast Openreach When and Where website is: http://superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also look out for these FTTC Cabinets on/near your street/area. If you see one near your old cabinet (pcp) then you maybe in luck for Fibre broadband.

fttc_cabinet_medium-3.jpg

Hope that helps,

Cheers

**The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
wilsibabes
Message 3 of 20

No it does not. You have been promising me infinity for 12 months. Please do not patronise me with that information again as I understand how it works, the chief executives sectary explained it clearly to me when I was promised infinity by the end of October.

Your standard cut and paste response does not get me infinity as promised for the past 12 months and I cannot see the point in waiting indefinitely whilst you continue to lie about availability. 

Why can you not provide an honest answer? 

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 4 of 20

Hi wilsibabes,

This is a BT Retail (an ISP) customer to customer help forum.

BT Infinity is just BT Retail's brandname for their Fibre broadband services.

BT Retail can't give you any more details about the rollout and availability of fibre broadband as it is being managed and rolled out by Openreach for ALL ISPs/CP.

BT Retail gets the same information that all ISPs/CP do, and does not get any special treatment over other ISPs/CPs.

You will need to email NGA Openreach via nga.enquiries@openreach.co.uk with your landline number, address and pcp(cabinet) number to see if they have any more information regarding upgrading your cabinet. It may take a week or so to get a reply.

In areas where the commercial Superfast-Openreach fibre broadband rollout will not be able to reach, your local council or govenment BDUK superfast broadband rollout scheme may be able to help. For more information on your BDUK superfast broadband rollout scheme, you will need to contact your council or government.

Cheers,

**The Commercial Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs. The BDUK fibre broadband schemes are managed by Openreach along with your local authority.BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
wilsibabes
Message 5 of 20

Been there done that. As explained the chief exec office has done the checking on upgrade suitability and upgrade dates and gave me the end of October as an upgrade date. Lies or incompetence?

I am sick of the standard fob him off responses and I need to move to another supplier, there are some good deals out there and I can save myself a few quid.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Unless you go to Virgin you will have the same problem as all ISP use the same cabinets provided by Openreach.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
wilsibabes
Message 7 of 20

I will get the same level of connection speeds I am currently getting if I move to another provider.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 20

The chief execs office of BT Retail can only give you information supplied to them by Openreach.

For a definative answer contact Openreach via this email address. nga.enquries@openreach.co.uk.

They will have information on the delay in provisioning your cabinet and the expected time it will happen.

No-one else can give you this information.

0 Ratings
wilsibabes
Message 9 of 20

So you are suggesting the chief exec's office have lied to me?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

@wilsibabes wrote:

I will get the same level of connection speeds I am currently getting if I move to another provider.

Yes, you will only get ADSL broadband at the same sort of speeds you presently have. You won't get fibre through another ISP if the cabinet is not fibre enabled. The only benefit you might see is it could be cheaper.

If Virgin is in your area you could get better speeds with them as they use a different infrastructure.

EDIT: The yes above is not in response to you asking if you were lied to. I would imagine they gave you the information that they had been given by Openreach which was what they believed to be accurate at that time.

0 Ratings