cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 32

Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

I recently moved house. A friend of mine who lives next door but one has inifinity and his next door but one neighbour also has it. I had it in my previous house. I had no reason to believe it wasn't available in my new house. That was until I moved.

There are 2 cabinets in the village. One is nice and new and fibre enabled. The other appears to be a fossil about 2 feet from the new one. My house is connected to this dinosaur and BT have supplied me with broadband with the whopping speed of 0.75Mbps. Wow, I had a faster connection 11 years ago.

I spoke to BT and they fobbed me off saying this is something that Openreach deal with and that I am not able to speak to Openreach despite them ultimately being in control of my connection. Luckily within 2 days my line had developed a fault and Openreach were called. The engineer came round and diagnosed the fault but before he went I spoke to him about my issue. He said he'd take a look.

He came back to me and explained that the new cab (cab 30) was full and I was in the old one however, he had physically routed my line through the new cab from the old one, something which is perfectly fine to do when the two are in such close proximity. He said you need to convince BT that you can get infinity. Sadly BT operate a "computer says no" approach rather than take the word of the Openreach engineer who knows better.

So, what do I do next? Apparently it is very unlikely that the archaic piece of history that is cab 20 in my village will be upgraded leaving me in the dark with respect to a decent connection unyet I'm expected to pay full price for BT Total Broadband which is only £3 less than what I was paying for infinity in my last house.

I'm sick of calling up to be told the equivalent of "computer says no" so what do I do next? How can I get someone to pay attention and provide me and the other poor soles in my village that are stuck in the dark ages of cab 20 with a decent connection? 0.75Mbps is not a satisfactory speed in the slightest and to be told by the line checker here https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html, that I am such a long distance from the exchange (3.5 miles in fact) that it is unlikely that I will get a decent speed.

0 Ratings
31 REPLIES 31
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 32

Re: Infinity available but BT refuse to accept this fact

He could not have re-routed you into the new FTTC cab without installing Infinity for you. It will be upto openreach to install a new cabinet if the FTTC one is full.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 32

Why would he have to install infinity? If my line was connected to the infinity enabled cab, I don't necessarily have to have inifinity.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 32

@snert wrote:

Why would he have to install infinity? If my line was connected to the infinity enabled cab, I don't necessarily have to have inifinity.

Because the infinity enabled cabinet only does Infinity and not ADSL connections.

0 Ratings
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 32

This will be a case of the engineer updating the records and it all getting filtered out to the checkers... Could take a while

0 Ratings
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 32

Also you don't get what he means, his line was on an old PCP beside a new one.. the new one got FTTC conneted to it, his doesn't.

The engineer moved his line from the old PCP over to the newer PCP (not the infinity cabinet).

0 Ratings
BuckleZ
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 32

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=google+maps+ballykelly&hl=en&ll=55.043024,-7.03331&spn=0.01254,0.03...

Something like that setup probably, only i think they are both connected, but not sure might only be one.

0 Ratings
Ratty2012
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 32

@BuckleZ wrote:

Also you don't get what he means, his line was on an old PCP beside a new one.. the new one got FTTC conneted to it, his doesn't.

The engineer moved his line from the old PCP over to the newer PCP (not the infinity cabinet).

The new one will be the FTTC cabinet and no he can't be moved. You only have two cabinets when FTTC is first setup

1. PCP

2. VDSL Cabinet.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 32

So we're saying the Openreach engineer lied at no gain for himself when he could have just said sorry, there is nothing that can be done?

Doesn't make particular sense to me.

Ok, so I pay BT for a net connection and they say that Openreach are responsible for the network and its maintenance unyet I can't talk to Openreach directly about the supply of that service when it is substandard. BT insist that Openreach are a completely separate company despite Openreach's website saying "A BT Group Business" on the masthead. We all know the insistence on separation of the two is to get around the monopolies commission but why can nobody speak to Openreach? BT can't give me any answers or information so who can? I'm paying for a substandard service and I'd like something done about it.

0 Ratings
snert
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 32

Yes, that is exactly like what I have in the village.
0 Ratings