Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Timewarp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 21

Infinity disconnects once per day

Go to solution
Every evening the broadband connection drops for around 50 seconds.

Tried the online checker and also the Open Reach number to check noise and everything is fine.

I wrote a script that runs from my Raspberry Pi on ethernet to confirm this wasn't WiFi and to pinpoint the exact times of no connectivity.

Checker says I'll need an engineer visit. Is this true? I use Google WiFi rather than the Home Hub.
0 Ratings
20 REPLIES 20
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 21

Re: Infinity disconnects once per day

Go to solution

can you post any connection stats?

does connection drop about same time every night?

sound more like interference than a line problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Timewarp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 21

Go to solution
Unfortunately, Google WiFi doesn't give stats AFAIK

Yesterday it was around 8.40pm, today around 9.30pm.

Interference outside of the home?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 21

Go to solution

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to eliminate your internal wiring and faceplate from causing a problem - even if you currently use a filtered master socket

difficult to help with some basic connection stats information

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Timewarp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 21

Go to solution
I can try that.

I could also plug in my Home Hub 3 to get stats if useful?

My Google WiFi is connected to the Open Reach modem. Is there any interface to this that I can get stats from?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 21

Go to solution

connecting the hh3 wont help as all stats in the modem  if hg612 you can unlock it (try google) but if ECI unlikely as needs to use soldering iron

0 Ratings
iniltous
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 21

Go to solution

Try searching 'REIN' and 'SHINE', unsuppresed electrical equipment switching on and off can cause your broadband to drop out, and especially this time of year when many houses are decorated with Christmas lights , is it possible that someone switching lights off around that time is your problem, it's not neccesarily your own electrical equipment, but could be a neighbour's 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 21

Go to solution

https://kitz.co.uk/adsl/rein.htm

Mos Christmas tree lights now use cheap and  switch mode power units, which can cause interference to broadband, but this would normally affect the connection speed.

0 Ratings
Timewarp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 21

Go to solution
Yes, nothing we own would be only going off or on only at those times.

Interestingly, I've only noticed it happen come December. I got cut off a conference call and have noticed alert emails from my dyndns client telling me about a new public IP quite often.

My script confirms the outage is only 50 seconds each time, possibly indicating SHINE?
0 Ratings
Timewarp
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 21

Go to solution
Tried with a filter, and still disconnects.

Is it possible to get stats from the Open Reach modem? If so, how?
0 Ratings