Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Infinity dropping internet connection when phone picked up

Go to solution

Hi,

I generally get good speed and reliability on my Infinity broadband connection (see speed test result below). Several months ago, I encountered an issue whereby the internet connection would momentarily drop and reconnect every time the phone was picked up and/or replaced. This continued for a couple of weeks. I replaced my cordless phones thinking perhaps they could be the issue. I checked my wiring by unplugging everything and using a wired phone into the master socket. I fitted new microfilters (not that they should make a difference). Nothing worked, and BT Broadband support and Phone line support just blamed each other.

But then the problem mysteriously went away.

Now, several months on, it's started happening once again. I'm at a total loss as nothing has changed. My only thought is that it must be a fault on the line somewhere.

Has anyone else had this problem and knows what might be causing it (that I haven't tried already!)? Or ways to get BT to investigate properly?

Thanks

Charlie

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Infinity dropping internet connection when phone picked up

Go to solution
It sounds like a high resistance fault which is a voice fault and needs reporting to faults on 151 with no mention of broadband
Highlighted
meddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks for that. However... how do I report the fault with no mention of broadband issues? I mean what happens when they inevitably ask me what the symptoms are and why I think I have a fault?!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution
you report the call keeps disconnecting and you have a high resistance joint
meddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

I was on the phone to them when you replied. Although I mentioned the broadband dropping, I refused to be passed over to the Broadband team (as was suggested when the line check came back with no faults). We then got cut off but the assistant rang back and I have an engineer booked to come next Monday.

Any advice on how to approach things with the engineer to get it resolved? I seem to remember the problem went away last time (it was in January) after I saw BT engineers working in the street outside.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution
when the engineer arrives just explain what happens
meddc
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

Engineer has just been. Apparently there was some dodgy wiring in the house and in addition the master socket had been wired up slightly wrong. Although the main issue was with my home wiring, I think it'll go down as a poor initial installation of Infinity, so I shouldn't have to pay.

Thanks for all the advice.

0 Ratings