cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robinpm
Message 1 of 4

Infinity is at our exchange and the other cabinets in our village have been upgraded, but not ours

I've tried following the links on the FAQs and spent a long time on the phone to various departments within BT and TalkTalk but without any luck so I'm posting here to see if anyone knows how to find out the information I'm after.

I live in Bathampton.

Our exchange (Kingsmead in Bath) has BT Infinity.

A BT engineer came to fix a broadband fault last week so I asked him when we might get infinity.

He was very helpful, and told me that other people in the village already had it, and went to look at the cabinets, then called me back to say that other cabinets in the village had been upgraded (with the new, larger, fibre cabinets alongside them) but our particular one had not been done. He was a bit surprised that ours had not been done yet, and suggested we contacted BT to ask when it would be upgraded.

So since then I have been round the houses with BT and TalkTalk for hours. They keep passing me to other departments who 'should be able to answer my query' but ultimately I always get told that 'it is not yet available to me' and that I should speak to TalkTalk (that's what BT say) or BT (that's what TalkTalk say).

I actually thought I was in luck this morning when Darren from BT told me that he had put in my postcode and phone number and it was now accepting orders for infinity, so I thanked him very much and went in online to place my order only to find that it is still not available to order.

I don't mind waiting a few more weeks or months, but I'd like to speak to someone who could reassure me that there is a plan to upgrade my cabinet, rather than discovering some years down the line that it was overlooked when they did the rest of the village. Can anyone advise?

Many thanks.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Infinity is at our exchange and the other cabinets in our village have been upgraded, but not ou

Up until recently you could email Openreach and ask when your cabinet was likely to be upgraded however Openreach are no longer giving out that information, instead they are replying:-

Thank you for your contact to us. Please note that we will not be responding to you by email but, would like to point you to the Openreach Superfast Fibre website and the FAQ section that will provide answers to the most commonly asked questions. It will also provide links to those service providers that sell fibre broadband at the moment so you can check if your particular line is enabled.

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

So in short, you just need to keep checking to see if your cabinet has been up graded.

If you use this checker it will tell what cabinet you are on and what services it can receive

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 3 of 4

Re: Infinity is at our exchange and the other cabinets in our village have been upgraded, but not ou

Hi robinpm,

You could try checking the Connecting Devon and Somerset website

On the 29th January 2013, Connecting Devon and Somerset agreed a deal with BT to deliver high-speed fibre broadband to around 90% of premises by the end of 2016 and to ensure a minimum of 2Mbps broadband speeds for all.

Average speeds are currently around 9Mbps in Devon and around 8Mbps in Somerset, while about 14% of premises across the two counties receive less than 2Mbps.

The total value of the contract is £94 million, with BT making a £41 million financial contribution. £10 million is being provided each from Devon and Somerset County Councils with £32 million Government funding from Broadband Delivery UK (BDUK) and contributions from other public sector partners.

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
farmergiles
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 4

In short they can't be assed to tell you that they're screwed up royally on the rollout plan and won't be upgrading your cabinet any time before 2017. I keep seeing friends in the back end of nowhere getting their cabinets upgraded YET SOMEHOW in my CITY AREA on a NEW BUILD ESTATE in a city that's been eligible for fibre for 2 YEARS, I'm still stuck with stone age speeds.

It's stupid - sort your self out Openreach.

0 Ratings