Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
majnu
Contributor
Message 1 of 18

Infinity keeps disconnecting and frustrating service from BT Call centres

Good Evening,

I hope that someone from the BT and Openreach team can respond to my problem. 

Here is my background:

For a few months I've been experience disconnects of my Infinity broadband service. When I call the help center I am told that the issue lies with my local exchange which is being rectified. However the problem has since gotten worse. 

I run through the same checks everytime I call which involves checking the HH lights and the call center operative running through "checks". I even purchased new routers from Amazon/Ebay hoping that this would solve my issue (HH5 and Asus AC66U) however these did not. 

I diagnosed that my problems occur when there are severe Weather conditions, over the past few months Britain has gone through gales, torrential rainfall and snow. 

When I rang again on the week commencing Jan 19th, I was informed that my case would be passed on to the Service Monitoring team. In the meanwhile I sent tweets to @BTCare and @BT_UK asking for help and advise to why my internet cut of during bad weather to which I received no reply.

The Service Monitoring team rang on the 24th January and after carrying out more thorugh "checks" diagnosed that there was a problem with the copper cable entering my home. They then proceeded to tell me that somebody would ring me today ( January 29th at 9am ); after waiting today I never received the phone call. 

I then rang BT again explaining the situation and why nobody called. They then promised that someone would call at 12pm which they did. 

The Manager whom I spoke too explained that he would need to carry out all the again as I was dealing with someone else. I stressed to him to look at my notes to which he said "unfortunately it doesn't work like that" 

He was very unprofessional and asked "If I was Pakistani and if I like Cricket" I'm sorry  but asking personal questions and telling me your life story is not why I called.

Moving on he explained that he escelated the case to Openreach who will carry out further checks which can take 3 working days. Additionally, he said that Openreach will not replace the cable from the pole entering my house because if they carry out the tests on days when there are no bad weather conditions then no fault will be found. 

I am pretty livid with the whole situation now. I work from home and rely on the internet for confrence calls and for my P/T hobby and income I am a Youtube content creator with 100,000 subscribers. I haven't been able to have a pleasant online experience hence why I cannot create my content which is loosing me money every day, moreover there is a highly popular game released next Tuesday that I cannot create content for my Audience and contractual agreement with the publishers. 

This whole experience has affected me pretty badly hence why I am here pleading for help from anyone who can offer some advice or resolution.

Thank you

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Barry57
Expert
Message 2 of 18

Re: Infinity keeps disconnecting and frustrating service from BT Call centres

Hi

majnu sounds like your having a time n' half with the connection 😞

Did you get an openreach modem [eci/r or hg612] ? When you purchaced your new equipment ?

If you have on spare , hook it up to the hh5 as that seems the most stable combination for troubleasome lines.

Is the Line still under fault  investigation ?

Another way to approach this is via the voice line only.

If the phone crackles , pops hiss ect when the weather bad , it makes it much easier and  faster to get openreach to sort the copper out.

With the telephone connected to the BT test socket dial 17070. 

Choose option 2

You should here nothing if the line if fault free even in the worst of weather.

http://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Performing-a-Quiet-Line-Test

Hopefully a mod will pick this up as its clearly an issue 😞

0 Ratings
majnu
Contributor
Message 3 of 18

Hi Barry57

Yes I have the white open reach modem, I believe it is the hg612 Huawei. Additionally the HH5 I bought has a modem built in. Connecting either of these unfortunately didn't rectify the disconnects. 

The broadband line is still under investigation, I did explain to the operative that during bad weather that my home phone line would crackle too, but they raised that as a separate incident. 

I shall carry out the test tomorrow, thank you but I can only verify that this happens if the weather is really bad. The broadband is my biggest concern atm. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 18

If the problem is worse during bad weather there would obviously appear to be a fault on your line. This will cause your phone to be noisy and also cause the broadband to drop out.

Normally when there is noise on the phone line you are recommended to report a telephone fault without mentioning the broadband problem because this seems to get the fault looked at quicker and avoids doing all the broadband check that you have had to carry out.

Wait and see what transpires with the customers services and if you still have no resolution post back here to see if something else can be done.

As an aside if you are depending on your broadband for your living you should consider getting a business package. There is a far better Service Level Agreement when it comes to faults getting repaired.

0 Ratings
Barry57
Expert
Message 5 of 18

Personally I'd raise a phone fault stright away if you've heard noise. Don't mention the broadband side of things , just the noise on the line.

BTRetail pay compenstion on phone line loss of service and is treated with a higher priority than broadband. 

Both the HG612 & the ECI/r are very good at calming the line down. Unfortantly they don't fix copper line faults.

HG612 & Asus AC66U   Will be very handy set up for youtube once the copper is sorted......:)

0 Ratings
majnu
Contributor
Message 6 of 18

Guys

I received a voicemail reply from BT at 8am today saying that they would call between 11-1pm and they have not. 

I do not want to call as I know I will go through all the same "checks" again and will need to repeat myself. 

What are my options now?

Is there a CEO whom I can write to and tell them of the awful service I've received?

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 18

Hi Majnu,

I am sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had in getting your fault resolved. I'll be able to take a look at this for you. Please could you send me in your details using the "Contact The Mods" link found in my profile.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
majnu
Contributor
Message 8 of 18

Hi PaddyB

I shall PM you now.

Thank you

Edit Done:

enquiry reference number: **Edited**