cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 23

Infinity meant to be set up 11/3, no connection 12/3

I recently switched my broadband from Plusnet over to BT. Something I thought would be simple considering the companies involved. I received everything through the post as normal and set up the router last night. As I'd received no confirmation text/email, I wasn't expecting it to work which is fair enough.

I woke up this morning and received an email saying that my line was now active so I tried the HH5 again but to no avail. After coming home from work, I had received a text stating the same thing so I run through the process again yet nothing has happened.

I have done all the troubleshooting through the HH network and have exhausted all the options available short of calling BT up. The only reason I haven't done so is because since I only got the email and text today, do I need to wait until tomorrow before BT will do anything? Having tested the sockets and the filters, I am confident the problem is either with the cabinet or something further down the line with BT/Openreach. What should I do?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Infinity meant to be set up 11/3, no connection 12/3

What lights do you have on the home hub?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 23

Orange with a flashing red B.

I have a dial tone and can make calls out. I have tested the master socket plus two extensions. Swapped the filters around. Had just the Hub plugged in to the sockets. Feel like there's not much more I can do!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 23

I suspect the connection at the cabinet either hasn't been done or hasn't been done correctly. Call up and raise a fault, an engineer visit will be required.

When you call up just explain you've switched supplier and you've tried it into the test socket.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Highlighted
Message 5 of 23

Okay will do thank you! Just wasn't sure whether receiving the text and email today saying everything's done meant I would have to wait until tomorrow or not.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 23

To be honest the whole "midnight" thing is a farce. If your service isn't on by 5pm (when the engineers finish) then it isn't going on that day.

All of the remote backend stuff usually goes live in the early hours of the morning that your service is due to start.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 7 of 23

@superwhiskey I'm sorry to see your Infinity is not connected yet.  The text would indicate the engineers have closed off your order so reporting a fault would be the first step in getting this sorted. Let us know how you get on after calling faults. 

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 8 of 23

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 9 of 23

So a further update on this, after calling Faults, they've asked me to locate the master socket. I have found one which has different panelling to the other two on the inside which I've taken pictures of, not sure if I can post them on here. One has a small transistor-capacitor over the C1 slot on it which I think must make it the master. However, as I live in a fairly old flat, there could be an external junction which I can't see at all.

The phone still works so I was wondering, going forward, will I be charged for a call out to fit a new socket or will BT do it for free?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 23

no the master is the socket nearest where the phone line enters your flat Openreach will charge to replace the socket there should be no reason why you cannot use the existing socket
0 Ratings