cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andy_mitchelluk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Infinity slowing down gradually

So I've had BT Infinity 2 since the start of the year and I was originally estimated 66 Mbps (due to the condition of my line which has since been replaced as well as being put on a new pair at the cabinet) but on connection I actually got 72 Mbps.

Now, several months on I'm having issues with my speed. It's still high but I found that I was soon put on a 66 Mbps profile as per my original estimate. Now I seem to be on a 58 Mbps profile.

I have a perfectly clean line (I should hope so after all the issues I had when I first signed up!) and I'm using the master socket in my bedroom as verified by all 3 engineers that came out (the extension in the living room has never been wired up and is definitely NOT the master socket).

I'm using the Home Hub 5 but I also get the same speeds using the HG612.

Details from the HH5 are: (I've just reset the HH5 prior to these details to see if it would speed things uo but no luck)

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 02/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 00:09:32
6. Data rate:20000 / 54000
7. Maximum data rate:26445 / 77109
8. Noise margin:14.9 / 7.9
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 14.4
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 14.4

And from the BT further diagnostics page:

speed 1.jpg

If anyone has any ideas on what the hell is going on I would appreciate it!

The upload speed is ok (I get around 17-18 Mbps on speed tests and in actual uploads), it's just the download being way off what the HH5 says my line is capable of.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
dfenceman
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity slowing down gradually

You may find this of interest :- http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 14

Your download noise margin is higher than the optimum of 6. This could be because there is a fault on your line and DLM (Dynamic Line Management) has lowered your speed to maintain a stable connection.

If there is a fault on the line and it clears its self DLM will slowly increase the speeds. If the fault has not cleared its self you will need an engineer out to investigate the problem and once he/she has repaired it they should reset your line. 

0 Ratings
andy_mitchelluk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 14

I did think that DLM might be doing something here but I just find it strange that it has always said around the 77000 Kbps mark on the maximum my line can handle and when the engineer first came his machine said my line is capable of approx. 100 Mbps.

Wouldn't the "Maximum data rate" on the HH5 be acuurate based on the current noise margin?

My noise margin has been around 7.5-7.8 ever since I got the new line and had a new pair on the cabinet and I've been sat at 66 Mbps since the line went live in March. If there's a fault on my line I would be surprised as BT changed the equipment at the exchange and tried me on 3 pairs at the cabinet due to issues in the past.

The engineer was here all day doing tests all along my line and by the end of the day he had me on a faultless line.

I know about the crosstalk issues but I'm not so sure that would be the problem as there aren't many people on fibre at my cabinet as most people down the street have Virgin Fibre (I couldn't get it due to Virgin not installing it when my block of flats was built 11 years ago).

And just one last thing, I find it odd that I'm connected at 54000 (last week I was at 60000). That seems like an artificial limit to me unless DLM actually forces to the nearest 10k?

0 Ratings
loanhead
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 14

I notice your VDSL uptime is very low. Are you power cycling the router frequently or did it disconnect itself? If the HH5 is dropping out or its being disconnected DLM will see it as a fault.

0 Ratings
andy_mitchelluk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 14

No, the low uptime is due to a factory reset after it dropped down to 54000 Kbps.

I was hoping a reset might give it a kick up the backside but no luck.

Previous to this I've only had the odd restart here and there but it has normally come back at around 66 Mbps.

Last week it reset on me and came back at 60000 Kbps and then yesterday it reset and came back at 54000 Kbps.

3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 02/05/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 02:47:56
6. Data rate:20000 / 54000
7. Maximum data rate:26561 / 77699
8. Noise margin:15.0 / 7.6
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 14.4
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 14.4
0 Ratings
NoobSaibot
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 14

Wholesale checker now takes crosstalk into account when estimating speeds...

I'm more worried about being worser off during peak times. Hope it's not a hassle to downgrade just incase things turn out to be worse

I'm talking speeds of like this every single night...

Don't want an unusable net every now for about 5 hours.

speed1.jpg

0 Ratings
andy_mitchelluk
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 14

On the wholesale checker I get
FTTC Range A (Clean) Down: 80/66.8 Up: 20/20
FTTC Range B (Impacted) Down: 80/54 Up: 20/18.2

I was told that my line wasn't impacted when the 3 engineers came out at the start of the year and did all the repair works to my line so I should at least be getting the 66 Mb.

I still don't get why my data rate is at 54000. I have never seen such a rounded number other than when someone has capped a connection so this has me a little worried.

And I feel for you having speeds like that. I had to put up with that for almost 10 years on ADSL as BT couldn't find the fault until I switched to Fibre. Not to mention a phone call or even just picking up the landline would cut my connection off instantly. That's what they fixed this year when I nagged them daily!
0 Ratings
NoobSaibot
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 14

Well we'll see... BT when and where is now saying accepting orders for my area.

Estimated is between 52 and 70, I reckon it'll be up in down in-between that through the day no problem.  See what peak is like though.

If it regularly drops to 2 below between 5 and 11 for example I'll just downgrade back to this current connection.

In the terms they say to send the stuff back if you cancel but they let you keep it

0 Ratings
dfenceman
Expert
Message 10 of 14

@andy_mitchelluk wrote:

I know about the crosstalk issues but I'm not so sure that would be the problem as there aren't many people on fibre at my cabinet as most people down the street have Virgin Fibre (I couldn't get it due to Virgin not installing it when my block of flats was built 11 years ago). It all depends on the proximity of other pairs withinn the bundle. 

@noob,

Are you sure that the ADSL checker reacts that quickly to to new subscribers ?

Best regards,
dfenceman
0 Ratings