cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sw30
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Infinity speed issues

I have BT Inifinity with Home Hub 5 and am having speed issues. The gauranteed minimum access speed for my line is around 24mb.

Checking the download IP profile I have (today) 22.44mb, up from 18.5mb yesterday. Today an Openreach engineer came round and did a speed test from my master socket and got around 18mb (which is fairly consistent with my tests). Interestingly he went outside and connected to their wires before they came into the house and he got 27mb. The engineer said this was down to internal wiring

This is confusing me as my understanding is that the IP profile is the maximum achievable speed so it being 22.44mb there is no chance I could get the same speed as the engineer got outside the house, regardless of the state of the internal wiring.

Any ideas?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity speed issues

can you go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post stats 1-12

can you run btspeedtester and when first test completes run diagnostic test and post results 

btspeedtester

can you enter phone number and post results  https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
sw30
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Here you go...

1. Product name:BT Home Hub
2. Serial number:+068343+NQ41327945
3. Firmware version:Software version 4.7.5.1.83.8.173.1.6 (Type A) Last updated 05/06/14
4. Board version:BT Hub 5A
5. VDSL uptime:0 days, 01:36:32
6. Data rate:5865 / 21770
7. Maximum data rate:7080 / 28317
8. Noise margin:5.6 / 7.7
9. Line attenuation:0.0 / 30.3
10. Signal attenuation:0.0 / 27.0
11. Data sent/received:207.8 MB / 1.5 GB
12. Broadband username:

bthomehub@btbroadband.com

Featured ProductsDownstream Line Rate(Mbps)Upstream Line Rate(Mbps)Downstream Range(Mbps)Availability Date  High Low High Low    

FTTC Range A (Clean)47.834.810.67--Available
FTTC Range B (Impacted)4022.410.65.7--Available

WBC ADSL 2+Up to 7--4.5 to 11.5Available
WBC ADSL 2+ Annex MUp to 7Up to 14.5 to 11.5Available
ADSL MaxUp to 5.5--4 to 8Available
WBC Fixed Rate2----Available
Fixed Rate2----Available
Other Offerings
Fibre Multicast------Available
Copper Multicast------Available

Download speedachieved during the test was - 20.43 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 15.7 Mbps-22.44 Mbps .
 Additional Information:
 IP Profile for your line is - 22.44 Mbps

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 11

Not quite. IP Profile is calculated from the sync speed. The sync speed depends on the noise margin and the target noise margin is 6.

As your noise margin is 7.7, this indicates you have noise on the line causing instability and reduced sync.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
sw30
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Just so I understand, there is more noise than there should be on the line which lowers the sync speed, which in turn reduces the IP profile?

So the Openreach engineer would have seen reduced noise outside the property, which in turn mean he would have had a high sync speed, hence the 27.4mb outside?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 11

When your modem synced up, it aimed for a target noise margin of 6. Later on, the noise has reduced so the data shows your noise margin to be 7.7, but they sync speed is only set at sync time. So you should in theory be able to resync and get a higher speed. Unfortunately, DLM doesn't like resyncs and may change your line parameters which will stop you getting a higher speed.

His tester is maybe not affected by noise margin OR DLM in the same way a modem is.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
Sage
Sage
Message 7 of 11

As regards the engineers test equipment you are correct Ray. One factory (pinhole for 30 secs) reset by the OP should enable a re-sync without causing problems.

sw30
Beginner
Message 8 of 11

If I factory reset the HH, how will I tell if the re-sync has had any effect? Would I expect to see a change in the noise margin stats and an increase in the IP profile on the BT speed tester?
0 Ratings
shirts
Recognised Expert
Message 9 of 11

Do you know where outside, the engineer took the readings ?

Is your drop line of the old grey bell wire type ?

Normally the drop line from the pole will be connected to a junction box near to where it enters your property. There should be only one other cable connected to this junction box, and this would go to the back of your master socket. There should be no other wiring connected to the back of your master socket. Any extentions you may have should be wired from the back of the removable faceplate. Does your wiring follow this ?

If you found this post helpful, then please click the star on the left, after all, I'm only trying to help........Smiley Wink
0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 10 of 11

@sw30 wrote:
If I factory reset the HH, how will I tell if the re-sync has had any effect? Would I expect to see a change in the noise margin stats and an increase in the IP profile on the BT speed tester?

Check your stats in the HH5 before and after.

0 Ratings