Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shorne12003
Beginner
Message 1 of 11

Infinity speeds drop from 52 to 10 Mb/s in the evenings

Go to solution

After our village was ugraded to superfast broadband just over a month ago I took out BT infinity while still paying sky for ADSL Broadband (as we could only get 2Mb/s). Had it installed and everything was perfect, quick speed check and I was getting the full 52Mb/s. Postocde HD4 6XJ (Norton Terrace, Stocksmoor)

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a massive decline in the speeds during the evening between approx 6pm-11pm, which after running a speed check comes in at 6-10 Mb/s.

Seems to me like a simple case of the exchange cant handle the volume of traffic during peak periods. I've heard terrible things about BT customer service so the last thing I want to do is go through the usual rubbish of reset this, check that, we can get an engineer out. It's clear that I don't have a fault on the line and it's a bad case of traffic management at the exchange.

Can someone help me me with this?. If BT can't provide me with a service during the times I need to use the internet then I'll be forcing a cancellation and try my luck with another provider. 

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
borguk1of9
Contributor
Message 2 of 11

Re: Infinity speeds drop from 52 to 10 Mb/s in the evenings

Go to solution

I live in Bromyard in Herefordshire, we are having the same issue, very large discussion on Bromyard.Info on Facebook as we have seen speeds drop from 75mb to 8.4mb for me and others reporting as low as 0.42mb/s for the BT customers in the town.

Those on Talk Talk etc and therefore unbundled are not having the same issues.

This has been going steadly down hill for a few weeks now.

0 Ratings
shorne12003
Beginner
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Seems an extremely common issue, which I can't understand how BT allow to happen. If it dropped to say 30 Mb/s then I would probably just ignore and think nothing of it, but when your connection is slower than most peoples ADSL's equivilent then what kind of service is that!. 

Hopefully you get your issued resolved sooner than later, I'll give it a couple of weeks then I'll be pushing for a cancellation if they can't resolve. It's all made worse when you pay for Netflix to watch in 4k and you can barely stream HD. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution
Network congestion is not BT retail your providers problem

it is in the hands of BT Wholesale who provide the core network to all providers apart from those LLU providers who have their own networks BT Wholesale will be already aware of the congestion issue and will be planning and starting work on increasing network capacity this is carried out as rapidly as possible however if additional cabling is needed over long distances as exchanges are chained together this can take longer
0 Ratings
shorne12003
Beginner
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Surely BT retail sold me a package that's supposed to meet a minimum standard therefore it's absolutely their responsibility to provide that service. BT Wholesale might be the ones to fix the problem but it's BT retails job to ensure that problem is fixed. I'm never keen on assuming that "they will be already aware" and it's not right customers (many of which), should recieve speeds which are as slow as the ADSL equivilent they were paying for before they upgraded!. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

HI @shorne12003 and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry you're having problems with the connection speeds. As @john46 has mentioned it's more than likely been picked up by wholesale already but I can check what's happening for you. Can you drop me over an email with your details? You'll get the contact the moderators link in my profile.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution
This could be due to interference. Have you any electrical equipment that comes on at this time? Or are there any premises near you where this may be happening ?
If so, that equipment would need to be screened to prevent interference.
I remember seeing a post a few years ago when this was the cause.
It may be a long shot but worth checking out.
Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
herrbohnen
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

10 meg is good , I'm promised 50 mb , that what it shows on the BT tester, any other tester <10 Mb.

They had contractors working on my local fibre cab for a few weeks, my BB has been going off and on ever since, as soon as the contractors finished , 5 BT openreach vans on site , so for the last 3 WEEKS there have been up to 5 openwretch vans outside my local cabinet, after speaking to neighbours ,there have been many people off the air completely , so I can count myself "lucky" that I've only got ultra low speed internet . I live less than 1km from the local exchange

0 Ratings
jandj
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

I live in Wrexham and for the past few weeks the speed has been slow(5Mbps) in the evenings, we are connected to Cabinet 6. I have been told adventuly by the BT customer service in Newcastle that a piece of the equipment in our Grosvenor Rd Exchange Office will be upgraded to increse the bandwidth on 7th of October. Why this was not done and installed before BT started shooting their mouth off about their supposedly 65Mbps Fibrespeed Option2 if they are clearly not capable of delivering it? I tell you why - money and profits. Customer is right on the end of their interest. SHAME on BT, BT Wholesale and indeed British Government for letting them get away with it.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
network capacity is constantly being monitored and upgraded as soon as needed also it if not just BT customers that are affected it is those of approx. 500 other suppliers that use the same fibre network
0 Ratings