Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
NeilJohnson
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Infinity throughput issue

Hi,

I'm having a throughput issue with my Infinity fttc service and am hoping someone can help me out...

I've recently been experiencing problems with a reduced throughput - testing using the btwholesale checker with an Ethernet connection to the hub is giving throughputs of no more than about 80% of my sync speed (45Mbps with a sync speed of 55Mbps); I used to get around 53Mbps which is probably about the max possible given TCP/IP etc overheads.

Occasionally the tests have returned speeds of only 25 or 35 Mbps, and last night we saw only 2Mbps with a 750ms latency! Interestingly power cycling the hub returned the download speed result to about 45Mbps.

I called BT about a week and a half ago and the tests run at the time flagged a throughput issue/fault and a fault was raised and an Openreach engineer's visit booked. After one failed booking, the engineer visited this morning but could find no fault with the line or equipment. He moved me to a different fibre port but btwholesale speed tests still give about 45Mbps.

So, I'm wondering how to proceed from here. I'm never seeing throughput above 80% of the sync speed which leads me to think this can't just be contention. Also, the staggeringly poor results last night which were affected by rebooting the home hub lead me to wonder if the router itself might be the issue?

I took out the standard Infinity package last August/September and have had a consistent stable download sync speed of 55Mbps with noise margins above 16dB. I'm very close to the cabinet and the BT availability checker estimates available max speed as 79-80 for both clean and impacted lines. The BT hub lists a max download speed of 94Mbps. Speed tests via btwholesale site used to be around 53Mbps.

I'd be very grateful for any help or suggestions on how to resolve this issue. My fault is still open on the system but I'm guessing it will get closed as the engineer could not identify a line/equipment fault.

Many thanks,

Neil

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Infinity throughput issue

run btspeedtester and when first test completes then run diagnostic test and post results  http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

must be done with ethernet connection and prefably without any powerline adapters

which exchange and cab are you on?  do you find download speed is poor at peak time

can you post your router stats

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NeilJohnson
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi,

I don't seem to get above 45Mbps download using the btwholesale speedtester regardless of time of day. The reported 2Mbps yesterday was during the evening - I tested it at about 21:30 when I got in but apparently the connection had bad all evening and pretty bad the evening before (we stream TV and my wife reported it totally unwatchable!). The other < 40Mbps tests had been at random times in the day.

Hopefully the snapshots below will give you the details requested...

Note that on the btwholesale speedtest I always now get the error shown below and never see the normal 'bars', IP Profile etc.; I'm entering the landline number as that's the only identifier I have and always used to work.

Neil

AvailabilityChecker.jpgModem.jpgSpeedtest.jpg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 14

have you tried a different browser like edge to run btspeedtester diagnostic test  your profile is probably about 50mb so 46mb download seems consistent

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
NeilJohnson
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response imjolly.

Yes, I've tried Chrome and Safari on different machines - all give same results and same error on "Further Diagnostics"?

Although 45Mbps is not a bad speed in itself, I used to see more, whilst the 25-35Mbps speeds I've seen recently are much worse, and the dismal 2Mbps with 750ms latency I saw last night are surely an indicator that something is wrong? The connection was previously consistenly fast and trouble free...

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 14

you need to run btspeedtester and keep trying the diagnostic test  post stats when you feel the download speed is low  must be with ethernet and direct connection from hub to machine

0 Ratings
NeilJohnson
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Could anyone advise what percentage of the sync speed is considered 'acceptable'? My 'guaranteed speed' is 50Mbps but I understand that this relates to the sync speed and not the throughput achieved...

When I called BT and they ran their remote tests the system flagged a 'throughput fault', so I assume the throughput must have been lower than some threshold relating to the sync speed?

Thanks,

Neil

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 14

you have the max speed for your package and therefore no question of low speed   however it is possible to suffer congestion which gives very low download speeds especially during peak times hence my request for btspeedtester results

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

Good morning @NeilJohnson and welcome to the community.

Thanks for posting about your connection problem. I've had a read through all the comments and @imjolly is spot on. This may well be a throughput problem. I've checked for any updates on your exchange but there doesn't appear to be any issues. Are you able to post the details, especially the further diagnostics, mentioned by @imjolly ? If you can give us that information we'll try to help.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Highlighted
NeilJohnson
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

Hi @DavidM,

Thanks for looking at the exchange details for me and also confirming that this seems to be a throughput issue.

Regarding the details, I think I've already posted snapshots of everything requested by @imjolly except for snapshots of the bt speedtest results when experiencing slower than 45Mbps speeds. I've included snapshots below of results obtained tonight - 36Mbps download and a 122ms latency.

As with the figures quoted in my original post, all tests have been performed using www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired Ethernet connection with no other internet usage at the time.

As I reported before, despite trying 10s of times using different machines and browsers, I always get the error shown in my second snapshot below when trying to run the "further diagnostics". Searching for this issue it seems to be something that happens occasionally to many people, and I assume it's actually a problem with the BT Wholesale server from which the IP Profile, etc are obtained?

Regarding the possibility that this is a congestion issue, although my local exchange shows no current issues, is it possible that it's a backhaul issue? My exchange is in a rural location which only received fttc due to funding from the "Connecting Devon and Somerset" partnership, and I'd not be surprised if the exchange were 'chained' to a larger exchange somewhere which might itself have a congestion issue?

Screen Shot 2019-05-18 at 21.55.10.pngScreen Shot 2019-05-18 at 21.55.48.png

Kind regards,

Neil

0 Ratings