Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 23

Infinity upload speed capped at 1Mbps

I upgraded from ADSL (very constant and reliable 6.3Mbps down / .38Mbps up) to FTTC Infinity with HH5 on 21/11/14. The engineer was not happy - working out of his usual area, terrible weather (said it was difficult working at the cabinet) and said that as a newbie they gave him all the worst equipment !! The advance speed estimate was 17.3Mbps down / 2.6Mbps up.

Since install, the connection has been very reliable and stable and the download speed exceeds the estimate at a very consistent 22Mbps.

BUT. The upload (which is especially important for my intended massive cloud storing!) has been stuck at a very stable and precise 1Mbps.

Following some long and largely irrelevant discussions with call centre folk, I was given a fault number **Edited** and told an engineer would attend on 10/12/14. I stayed in all day. No engineer came, but I received a text to say BT would call between 6 & 8pm. No call came. I logged in to fault tracking and was astonished to find it marked as having been "resolved" the previous day (9/12/14). Needless to say, nothing had been resolved, I had wasted a day, and the upload speed is exactly the same.

Very frustrating. With such a good and stable download, I feel I have little to complain about compared to some of those suffering on this forum, but I signed up and am paying for an upload speed that clearly should be 2 or 3 times faster.

In the past I have resolved more critical issues by contacting**Edited** directly, but I feel with this it would be a sledgehammer to crack a nut, so am coming to you experts first! 

What should I do?

0 Ratings
22 REPLIES 22
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 23

Re: Infinity upload speed capped at 1Mbps

Put your phone number in HERE and post back a screen of the result. Also post lines 1-12 from the HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 23

Goto www.dslchecker.bt.com and post the results. I would expect an upload of 2.6Mb to be the max the line could support under perfect circumstances. If you have an download of 17Mb you are quite far from the cabinet and that is the cause of your problems.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 23

Thanks for speedy response, have attached as requested. Might be worth adding that I followed the guidelines to reboot the HH once after the 10 days. This actually resulted in an increase to 25Mbps up / 1.2Mbps down. We had a local power interruption a few days later, after which the speed returned to 22Mbps / 1Mbps. I recently rebooted just in case anything had been "resolved", but speed exactly the same.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 23

you need to stop rebooting/resetting the hub as that will not help your connection

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 23

Sorry pipincp, not sure my attachments attached?! Trying again, forgive newbie issues...speedcheck.jpg

HH5.jpg

0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 23

You have exactly the same line attenuation that I do 30.4, I get 18 down and 1.2 up. The upload doesn't look capped to me because if it were I'd expect the max figure to end with 00 or some other exact number.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 23

As @Bigmac says it doesn't look capped and the stats look alright. Not much to be done about it.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 23

Thanks Bigmac 77, good to know I'm not alone with those numbers! But (apart from a very brief spell with one connection at 1.2) all my Ookla readings have been PRECISELY 1.00Mbps, any time day or night. Every bone in my body says that 1.00 is very definitely set by something, someone, somewhere, somehow! And as my download is in line with the "clean" estimate, I see no logical reason why the up is so meagre.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 23

Thanks pippincp. Is there any expected / normal ratio between upload and download?

0 Ratings