cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sage
Sage
Message 11 of 23

Re: Infinity upload speed capped at 1Mbps

Not with BT or any other FTTC provider it seems.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 23

Despite same line attenuation, Bigmac77s down/up ratio is 15:1; mine is 22:1. At this point I'd even settle for his 15:1 too! The advertised and estimated ratios are closer to 6:1. We know that "up to" covers a multitude of sins, but I still feel there is a specific wrong setting somewhere. All the evidence is that my line is clean and well capable of at least 3 if not 4Mbps. The constant speedtest reading of 1.00Mbps still cries out "capped" and I really need more convincing that this is the best BT is able to deliver to me. 

Upload is important, even without massive cloud use, as per this comment from another forum: "The upload speed can also affect/throttle your download speed if it is too small in relation to the download speed. For you to download, you must send (ie: upload) acknowledgment messages saying “I got it OK – Send more”. When you download a packet you must acknowledge successful receipt to get more. If the ratio is too imbalanced it is possible for you to saturate the upload side so that the acknowledgement of the first downloaded packet does not get to the server before the last download packet is sent (you have a window of “in flight” packets that can be sent before no more will be sent until they are acknowledged). This can throttle the download speed."

Can anyone give me a technical insight into where in the system this 1.00Mbps has been fixed?

0 Ratings
Bigmac77
Aspiring Expert
Message 13 of 23

Forget ratios it's all to do with lime length and quality. Your upload data rate it 1056 and you will receive 96.7% of this in actual speed. So do the maths and you'll see your actual upload speed. Speed test are not always accurate the stats in your router are.
0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 23

Thanks Bigmac, but I remain unconvinced! Any BT frontline engineers want to chip in?! 

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 23

I'll take a look at this for you mayavirupa333.

Drop me an email with your details. You'll et the 'contact us' link in my profile.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 23

Thanks David, I've emailed as requested.

Meanwhile, my download / upload ratio remains at 22:1 and while the down fluctuates a bit, the up remains precisely 1.00Mbps.

I will post on the forum once the issue is resolved. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 17 of 23

A mod should be in contact Mon/tue.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 18 of 23

This is just an update for the forum in case anyone is following this thread. Moderators have been in touch and agreed that the upload speed should be higher. A top notch engineer (Mark) visited last Wednesday, and I’d say he effectively polished our line all the way to the cabinet, clearing 2 specific minor faults, and raising the download from 22.5 to 27.5Mbps. This is now above the top “clean” estimate of 24.

However, the upload only shifted to 1.6Mbps, about a quarter of the expected speed. As before, the speed & connection is stable and consistent - just too slow.

I am fully satisfied that the engineer resolved any hardware issues, and that it is now specifically a “software” issue - DLM, profiling, all those mysterious things I don’t understand!

Moderator Neil is being extremely helpful, and is continuing to investigate, though because of the holidays, it may be another week or two.

I will post again as and when.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 19 of 23

Please do keep us updated.

0 Ratings
mayavirupa333
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 23

Hello again! 2015 update: Very positive intervention from Mod Neil, who agreed that my upload should be closer to my 10Mbps profile max, so he arranged a second engineer visit. This time Paul, an incredibly thorough and conscientious guy who worked well beyond the call of duty, including replacing 3 poles-worth of cable to a new master socket. Result: a significant further increase in speed, now 29.5 down and 3.00 up. At the time of my original posting it was 22.00 down and 1.00 up, after the first engineer visit 25.00 down and 1.60 up, so this is the fastest it's ever been, and for a pretty rural spot nearly 2km from the cabinet, not much to complain about... so I have signed off the "fault" as "fixed" and sincerely thank all who have helped.

However... I'm afraid I still feel that there is still a "Software" issue here, and I think it is fair to say that both engineers thought so too, though are too professional to be specific or point fingers. In simple terms, I am paying for an "up to" 40/10 package. If the ratio of my up to down was close to this same ratio (4 to 1), and if both are within the expected range, I would be 100% satisfied. As it is, the download is now actually above expectation, and after 2 engineers-worth of hard labour, the up is now just within expected range. Throughout, the line has been stable, no dropping out. So what can I possibly have to complain about now?!

Well, simply that the ratio of down to up is 10:1, nowhere near 4:1, and my clear understanding from Openreach is that there is no physical impediment on the line now that would only affect or reduce the Upload.

I would happily bet a kilo of copper that my line is capable of around 7.5Mbps Up, and that the only reason it is not doing so is that some software somewhere is capping it - non-maliciously and routinely - simply because very, very few people bang on about upload!

I am still within the 10-day settling period since this last reset, so theoretically there may be further Upload improvement in the next few days. From experience, I doubt it, but I will post a further update if anything interesting occurs!

Happy new year to all, especially Openreach engineers everywhere, battling to achieve what the marketing men pretend is possible!

0 Ratings