Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MikePalmer
Message 1 of 9

Infinty Connection & Supply CON!!!!

Hi Folks!

One slightly annoyed BT customer here. Whitemoor, CORNWALL

Having read that our area of Cornwall had now got FIBRE OPTIC availability. To much pomp and trumpet blowing from BT.

I have just had an Open Reach Engineer connect me to BT Infinity. After being convinced into changing from my standard Broadband. Supported by a BT promotion stating that Fibre Optic 'Infinity' was now available.

The poor guy was concerned by the lack of speed from the new INFINITY connection, and came to the house to check if my 'internal' connections were correct. BT informed me that I would receive an 80/20 (upload/download) speed from changing to Infinity. The best the guy could get was 6/18???? Having assured himself that it was not my internal connections, he promptly contacted his Manager. It was at that point - due to his honesty - that he informed me that the standard 'copper' to 'fibre optic' line interchange was located 500 yards from my home. Yet the 'feed' to that point was still the standard 'copper' line from the nearest exchange in Nanpean. Some four miles away. Plus having checked with BT, that, they stated, "The speed of my supply was ACCEPTABLE for the distance."

This is nothing short of a CON!!!! And I believe a 'Fraudulant' one?

A complaint has been lodged with BT / the Local MP / Ofcom.

WATCH OUT ALL!

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Infinty Connection & Supply CON!!!!

Can you post your line stats from the HH5 please? These are in Troubleshooting/Helpdesk on the web interface at http://192.168.1.254

Lines 1-13 will be enough

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 9

The fibre goes to the cabinet and from there to your house via copper. If you are getting an upload speed of 18mbps but the low download I would suggest that the installer may have missed somthing when installing your broadband.

Was he an Openreach engineer or a contractor?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

@MikePalmer wrote:

Hi Folks!

One slightly annoyed BT customer here. Whitemoor, CORNWALL

Having read that our area of Cornwall had now got FIBRE OPTIC availability. To much pomp and trumpet blowing from BT.

I have just had an Open Reach Engineer connect me to BT Infinity. After being convinced into changing from my standard Broadband. Supported by a BT promotion stating that Fibre Optic 'Infinity' was now available.

The poor guy was concerned by the lack of speed from the new INFINITY connection, and came to the house to check if my 'internal' connections were correct. BT informed me that I would receive an 80/20 ITYM 20/80 (upload/download) speed from changing to Infinity. The best the guy could get was 6/18???? Having assured himself that it was not my internal connections, he promptly contacted his Manager. It was at that point - due to his honesty - that he informed me that the standard 'copper' to 'fibre optic' line interchange was located 500 yards from my home Fine, but at that distance you were never going to get 20/80. Yet the 'feed' to that point was still the standard 'copper' line from the nearest exchange in Nanpean. Some four miles away. Total rubbish, you would not be getting 6/18 on copper at that distance. Plus having checked with BT, that, they stated, "The speed of my supply was ACCEPTABLE for the distance." At that distance you should be getting at least 50M download, see graph below.

This is nothing short of a CON!!!! And I believe a 'Fraudulant' one?

A complaint has been lodged with BT / the Local MP / Ofcom.

WATCH OUT ALL!

FTTC-speed-distance-graph.png

0 Ratings
MikePalmer
Message 5 of 9

To Continue .......

Just checked the line speed via BT. Download = 14.8mb (BT Quoted 80mb) / Upload = 4.53mb (Bt Quoted 20mb) The Openreach guy, who installed this, tried his best. 

Regardless of where the exchange is, or where the fibre feed starts? This is NOT good enough!!! The quoted figures - given by BT - forms part of the legal contract between the BT and the Customer.

Probably to be continued ...............

0 Ratings
gezster
Message 6 of 9

@MikePalmer wrote:

To Continue .......

Just checked the line speed via BT. Download = 14.8mb (BT Quoted 80mb) / Upload = 4.53mb (Bt Quoted 20mb) The Openreach guy, who installed this, tried his best. 

Regardless of where the exchange is, or where the fibre feed starts? This is NOT good enough!!! The quoted figures - given by BT - forms part of the legal contract between the BT and the Customer.

Probably to be continued ...............

Mike I feel your pain!

I have Infinity 2 and my downloads are rarely above 15Mb and 5mb up. I think it's bordering on fraudulent to advertize 80Mb super fast broadband when in reality the pratical figures for most are way lower. Ofcom should be more proactive in making these suppliers be more honest and transparent with their contracts and promises

I hope it works out for you!

Regards

Gez

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 9

If you post the information that was asked for it may be possible for somebody on the forum to assist you.

0 Ratings
Soyuz
Contributor
Message 8 of 9

I have infinity 2 and both my download and upload speed is Zero! Yes absolutely no connection at all! 

I was hoodwinked from the start by BT sales who told me it was the most reliable product they have and that I would get 68 Mbps. The best it got was 10 mins after connection it was 54 Mbps down and less than 2 Mbps up. That was in between constant disconnections. 

The speed had eventually gone down to 17 Mbps before they tried to fix it and completely disconnected me but, when I called to cancel the contract they asked for £351 to cancel the contract which they broke by never providing me with a properly working connection. 

I have written to BBC watchdog and to our local community newspaper about this disgraceful service and I will be contacting the Advertising Standards Agency too as the way they advertise infinity is purposely misleading and once they have you on the contract they try every trick in the book to stop you from cancelling. 

If that lad in the advert came to my house, he would not be saying "that is quick!" He would be saying "I thought you had an Internet connection?" 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 9

Hi MikePalmer,

Welcome and thanks for posting. I’m sorry the infinity isn’t what you were promised. I’ll be happy to take a look at this for you. Just drop me an email with the details. You’ll get the ‘contact us’ link in my profile.

@gezster We’ll continue to help you on your own thread.

@Soyuz I can see you case is in hand and my colleague is due to call you on Friday.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings