Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 14

Instalation going ahead?

Hi

I've heard various information about installations going ahead,. Has anything been decided given the current situation and lockdown. 

I'm due to have an engineer attend on 30th Marchto install my fibre and TV. So far for obvious reasons I cannot get through on the phone and checking the progress if my order online it is still going ahead unchanged.

I'm just wanting clarification as I have cancelled my current providers. Don't want to have no TV and Internet with two kids in the house!

Thanks in advance. 

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Instalation going ahead?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 3 of 14

Hi

I was due an install yesterday and no one turned up. I contacted BT who advised no fresh installations until at least 1st June and as it was to late to stop the phone line transfer as it was outside the 24 hour cancellation period i am left with no broadband for the foreseeable future..

I advise you to contact BT and stop the transfer of the phone line and stay put for the time being to avoid being in the same situation..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 14

Doubt it Openreach have been told their Engineers not to work in people’s homes unless it’s a matter of life and death, i.e. a vulnerable person who has a life line or someone on kidney dialysis.

They will ‘try’ to do provision work if the customer has no other means of phone/internet but it’s not guaranteed. Mobile Phones and your 3G/4g/5g are counted as having access.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 14

Hi

Sorry to hear you've been left stranded, sound like a nightmare...

Would you mind giving more info about your install....were you getting fibre to the home? would the engineer have needed to access your house?

That may be the reason. I'm due to transfer to BT on 2 April. The engineer shouldn't need to access my home but don't want to be left in your situation 

Andy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Hi Andy

Not sure if your message was intended for me..

Yes needed a new install of FTTP which would of required an engineer to enter my premises. 

BT did not contact me and i waited on the phone for an hour and a half to be told nobody was coming and they could not stop the phone line transfer. So i ended up with Sky disconnecting my broadband, no Wifi or access as do not have 4G connection or BT hotspot in my area! 

Nightmare..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 7 of 14

Yes it was, and yours is exactly the situation which concerns me tbh, v worrying. Pity Sky won't just "uncancel" for a few months, can you even sign back up with them - or will that also require an Openreach visit!...I wonder who is in charge during the transfer Sky or BT
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 8 of 14

BT.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 9 of 14

Contacted Sky and there's nothing they can do as BT have now transferred the line to themselves. So frustrating as need broadband more so than ever during this time. 

I work from home for local government but based over 100 miles away from the office so the knock on effect is that i am unable to do my job so potentially affecting loads of housing benefit applications being delayed.. not to mention the kids one who is disabled not being able to access school work etc. 

Noone from BT will step up and help..

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 10 of 14

That's madness. If you already have a phone line installed surely BT can just put you on even basic non fibre broadband for the time being. the doesn't need an engineer home visit...
0 Ratings