cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Installation of ONT box and Fibre Broadband

Go to solution

In due course, DV and Fibre BB will be forced upon me and the rest of the country.

Currently, my old telephone supply comes across the road to my semi detached house and drops down and enters the house near my hall window frame and then terminates in a master socket near the floor. In this area there is no mains power supply.

I have for years taken and extension lead from this (frowned upon I know) to my adjacent dining room into the corner adjacent to the long hallway. Here, the BT router is plugged in to a extension socket and there is a main supply here of course.

Can the new ONT box be fitted in this area, some distance from the original drop line from the eves of my house, otherwise if not then I will have to, somehow get a mains supply near the original master socket beneath the  existing table in the hall upon which sits one of my phones.

Sorry if this seems long winded but I really want to know in advance if the BT engineers can take the exterior fibre cable to anywhere outside of the front of the house.

Regards

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Installation of ONT box and Fibre Broadband

Go to solution

The briefest if perusals of the forum would reveal this question has been asked and answered countless times.

The entry point can be negotiated with the installation technician within reason.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks. Apologies for not doing the obvious and searching first. A mental aberration on my part. Doh! 

Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

There are Processes Engineers are Supposed to follow for a Standard Installation.

Although most Openreach Engineers are very accommodating and will install the ONT where you want within reason.

Get a Contractor from Kelly’s or MJ Quinn’s they might be a little more restrictive as to what they’ll do. Not because they’re being difficult, but because they get paid Per Job so will do what’s fastest for them.

Get a Contractor from Morrisons then good luck with them even bothering to turn up.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. ☹️

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

As an addendum, I presume I can go into the GUI of any new BT router, including the Smart Hub 2 and change the SSID and password to my previous Hub's SSID  etc so that the  all my equipment on my LAN will work with the new hub without recognition problems. I've done this once earlier this year when my very old BT Home Hub 3 became faulty and was replaced by a BT Hub 6 new from eBay. 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Yes, but you can't give the 2 WiFi bands different SSIDs on theSH2 as you can with older hubs

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

Hi.

Yes I realise that so one changed SSID would cover both frequencies then? 

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

Indeed

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Many thanks Licquorice. 

0 Ratings