cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Installation of new fibre broadband

We have finally got fibre broadband coming to the area.  I'm searching for advice on installation, bearing in mind our phone line was installed at the time the house was built, it comes into the house into the kitchen, I presume under the concrete floor.  I don't want cables being run around the house, through doors etc to get to the phone socket.  Outside there is tarmac/block paving.  I have asked BT about installation but they aren't interested in details - they just want to sell it to us.

Can anyone advise how installation takes place - can they pull the fibre connection through the existing phone socket?  Is it a complete mess afterwards?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Installation of new fibre broadband

An FTTP connection has nothing to do with your master socket. It does not need to be anywhere near it.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

If you are referring to full fibre (FTTP), then you'll get a completely new fibre optic cable...

Mine comes to a grey box outside the front door and they asked me where I wanted it to terminate inside the house. As mine is in a room around the back of the house, they gave me the option of clipping it around the outside brick walls and drilling an entry hole at the point I wanted it or to go up the front outside wall and over the roof. 

I don't think going through the inside of the house was an option they considered.

Same options were given at both of the properties I have had it installed.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

It is FTTP.  That's great, thank you.  They're coming to check ducts or something soon which is where the current phone line meets the outside house wall, so I presumed it would need to enter the house there.  Good to know it can be clipped round the outside in that case 🙂

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

No problem. It was the same for me...fibre comes up the same duct as the copper phone line to the point it meets the outside house wall. They installed a new grey junction box and then asked where I wanted the entry point to be.

As I said in my earlier post, I had it done at two properties with different engineers in different parts of the country and the same options were given to me and both were clipped around the outside of the wall (one halfway round the house and one from front all the way to the back).

It's a little bit ugly, as it's thick enough to notice the black sheathed fibre about the diameter of a TV aerial cable against the red brick wall, but I didn't want it to be clipped inside the house, albeit the fibre inside the house is much smaller, about the thickness of a USB phone charging cable and has a white sheath.

Good luck with the install...just discuss it with the Openreach engineer when they arrive and I'm sure they'll do what they can.

Message 6 of 10

A simple "Customer Service Point" fastened to your wall in a place you choose (subject to the engineer being ok with it) and it's as simple as that.

CSP.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
Message 7 of 10

@busterboy1  Customer Splice Point.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

@pippincp I see they must have changed the name on the product then.😋🤣

Customer Service Point.jpg

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Someone screwed up somewhere.🤣 Perhaps @Starwire  will enlighten us?

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Openreach are notorious for creating acronyms and then changing their meaning or having more than one meaning.

You see on the older Legacy Blown Fibre the smaller version of them was called, Customer Splice Point.

Then it moved to the use of Field Fit Connectors for a couple of years before they finally accepted that they were absolute s#### and went back to Splicing using the ‘Inside Out’ Method.

This is when they brought out those new CSP’s and renamed them the Customer Service Point because they said that was the Openreach Demarcation Point.

But again that was probably dreamed up by someone whose never stepped foot outside the office because how can it be the Openreach Demarcation Point when the ONT remains the property and responsibility of Openreach.