Did you mean: 
Highlighted
macj2361
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Installing Infinity via extension

Go to solution

Hi,

I currently have standard broadband (getting 3.5-4mb) but am looking to upgrade to Infinity.

The issue I have is that my broadband is currently connected via an extension lead. This is because my master socket is in our dining room, not close to any power sockets. Connecting any lead to the master socket isn't practical as it is also next to an open archway.

My question is can I install Infinity on the existing extension (which comes from an extension socket in a bedroom, down an outside wall then back into the living room!).

If I cannot use the existing extension, is it possible to move the master socket into the living room? How would I go about arranging this and how much would it cost?

Hope this makes sense - I have no technical knowledge on the subject!

Thanks.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
dnpark38
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Installing Infinity via extension

Go to solution

Instruct is always plug routers/hubs into Master Socket, so that must be best practice.

I do know if extending best to use good quaulity leads with twisted wires to be used and cheap flat cable to be avoided.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

@macj2361

Which image number below, matches your master socket?

Single master sockets

Filtered master sockets

0 Ratings
macj2361
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Its a single master socket - number 3

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution

@macj2361 wrote:

Its a single master socket - number 3

Thanks.

You need to bear in mind that your connection speed is easily degraded by poor wiring.

What I would do initially, is to unscrew the front of that master socket, and see if the extension is connected to the back of the removable section, as shown on this picture.

Extension wiring connection point

If it is, then the extension should go dead, with no dial tone on it, when that bottom part is removed.

If not, then the extension is teed in somewhere else, and may give problems.

As far as the wiring is concerned. I would wait until BT Infinity is activated, and see if you get the promised contracted speed after allowing 10 days for any changes to be made by DLM (Dynamic Line Management)

If the connection speed is below the contracted speed, then you are entitled to a free visit from an Openreach Field Technician, to investigate the speed, and sort out any wiring issues.

That would be the time to ask nicely, if they could move the master socket for you. This would have been done in the past, when Infinity was engineer installed. BT are saving money with self install, so allowances are made on the odd occasion that things do not work properly.

See info about this.

Complaints about slow broadband speed

0 Ratings
macj2361
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Thanks very much for your advice.

Can I just clarify - If I order Infinity, will it definitely work on the extension? - but potentially at lower than expected fibre speeds, although should be faster than my current broadband? Is that correct?

Thanks again.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

@macj2361 wrote:

Thanks very much for your advice.

Can I just clarify - If I order Infinity, will it definitely work on the extension? - but potentially at lower than expected fibre speeds, although should be faster than my current broadband? Is that correct?

Thanks again.

Yes, that is correct.

You may be able to make speed improvements be removing the "bell" wire from any sockets.

That may increase your existing speed.

See Improve your broadband connection speed