cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Intermittent Drops BT infinity Very poor Speed

We have had years of intermittent faults on the line which have been unresolved.

we were promised when we got fibre all these faults would go away, which they havn't up until yesterday the router was connected at 80 it is now only connecting at 36. It has been plugged into the test socket since day 1 there hasn't been a day when it hasn't dropped usually every 3hrs or so we are getting fed up with this and just want this to be resolved before we switched to BT infinity we had Sky standard broadband which dropped everyday the executive team at sky was unable to fix the fault because the line was 7km long according to openreach engineers.

All we get from openreach is you have a perfect line if the line was perfect why does the speed drop so much and why does it go on and off all the time. The fibre cabinet is about 150m or so it it is a new cabinet that was installed in April and didn't go live until end of July.Why is the max speed only showing as 47mbps last night at 11pm it was showing up as 99mbps I don't want this going round in circles with BT India we have always had problems with the line I have performed the Quietline test no noise.

The line Attenuation does seem to Fluctuate between 17 and 19 I think the issue could be the cable to  to the house because I live in a Semi-detached house and we are all on the same poles next doors cable branches off our telegraph pole they have no issue whatsoever with there broadband dropping so could it be the dropwire cable causing the issues? we have aways had significantly less broadband than them we used to only get between 2-2.5 while they got 5.

bt info.png

router stats billion.png

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Intermittent Drops BT infinity Very poor Speed

An attenuation of 19 indicates a distance of around 600m from the cabinet, which you are unlikely to be with estimates of 67-80 and a previous max attainable of 99mbps.

You have a serious level of interleaving depth applied indcating there's lots of interference being picked up causing a large number of errors.

You need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 3 of 20

The line attenuation jumps alot It goes between 16-19, all the time these are the stats from last night when it was working on 80. It was on 80 since day 1 with constant drops something is seriously wrong with it now though.

billion 8800nl.jpg

I have just plugged Smart hub in and got this what is going on?bt smart hub.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

It could of course be the router.

Leave the smart hub connected for a few days and see how it goes.

Is it connected to the master socket or an extension?

If the issue persists then you need an engineer visit.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 5 of 20

I'll leave the Smart hub in for a week or so to see how it gets on, the router is connected directly into the test socket same as the billion router was so I dunno why the speeds drop so much if It continues then I will get a engineer to have at look the line

The line has never really been stable anyway the most uptime i've ever had was about 2 days. 

0 Ratings
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 6 of 20

The internet continues to drop going in circles now about what else to do about it can someone help this has been going on now for years.bt hub.png

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 20

You need an engineer visit
0 Ratings
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 8 of 20

We've had 30+ engineers that tell us nothing is wrong with the line. Can a Mod help me with this BT don't think they're is anything wrong with the line.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 20

Have you had an engineer since moving to Infinity?
0 Ratings
Ryan98
Contributor
Message 10 of 20

Not since we had infinity, we've only had the infinity for 13 days although we had to contact bt about it dropping and they closed the case because they said it needs 10days stablisation and we agreed as it was in day 1 when it started to drop and has got worse since.
0 Ratings