cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 11 of 16

Re: Intermittent High Latency, Packet Loss & Speed Drops

Hi @Keith_Beddoe 

Yes I also suspect it is an issue with equipment somewhere. As mentioned previously I have had an "installation engineer" out four times this year, I have another one coming on the 9th of January. Is there any way to get an openreach engineer out instead? 

From what I understand the solution so far has been to swap my connection with another users at the exchange and see if the problem goes away, so far this has not worked. Forgive me if I am wrong but this was what was roughly explained to me during one of the visits. 

Another thing I have seen recommended on forums is getting a static IP as this has different routing across the BT network, is this some thing we could try?

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Ratings
Message 12 of 16

Hello,

So had the Installation Engineer out today. Within a few seconds of plugging in his laptop he confirmed its an issue on the line. It is down to interference, line damage or an issue in the exchange box.

By chance it was the same installation engineer we have had out the previous three times out of five. A bit downbeat as he had said it's the same issue he submits to the Openreach Engineers but they don't seem to be tackling the issue for some reason. 

Does anyone know if switching provider has any chance of fixing this? Do all providers use the same line/exchange? We have been given a 4G dongle from BT to use in the meantime but I live in the Highlands of Scotland and the signal is very poor.

todays test.JPG

@Keith_Beddoe  @imjolly 

0 Ratings
Message 13 of 16

you will use the same connection whichever ISP you select apart from virgin and more than likely would get the same openreach engineer for your fault

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 14 of 16

Hello @imjolly 

Thanks for your reply. 

So am I correct in thinking Virgin will use an entirely separate box? 

We had the openreach engineer out a couple of weeks ago, and the fault was said to have been rectified. We had great speeds of around 30mbs and latency sticking around 20/30ms. Unfortunately this didn't last, however I think this means I can rule out the physical line to the house out and put the fault down to the box/exchange. I called the support team once again and they have said they can try once again. They have also said they will void any cancellation fees which is nice of them.

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Ratings
Message 15 of 16

Virgin Media has it's own network totally independent and separate to Openreach.

0 Ratings
Message 16 of 16

Hello @pippincp 

Thanks for clarifying that. Unfortunately after checking it seems virgin is not available in my area. 

I'm really stuck as to how to approach this now, I'm currently on hold again to the support team but this will be the 6th Engineer visit I'm organising. I really don't know what to say that will encourage them to fix the line. 

Kind regards,

Tom

0 Ratings