cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beximus
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Intermittent internet connectivity dropouts

Since the end of last week I've been having intermittent dropouts on my internet connection.  My Home Hub 5 will go to orange light, along with a flashing red broadband light, and then stay offline for a few minutes and then reconnect.  It's often in the evenings, with an occasional morning, and there's no pattern to when it will go off (it doesn't correlate to anything else in the house that might interfere for example).  I tried the troubleshooting tests on the website with no errors found.  I then rang BT after a couple of days and they ran some tests on the line from their end and again found nothing so decided to book an engineer.

Since then I have investigated further because I do not want to be charged £85 for the call out if it was something I could have avoided (I would point out here that the adviser I spoke to didn't tell me to do anything like check the phone line for noise or use the test socket).  Saturday evening I plugged the hub into the test socket, through the filter and the dropouts are considerably less, although there has still been one or two instances.  I am hopefully getting hold of a wired phone tomorrow to check the quiet line for noise.

Basically what I want to know is, if the hub doesn't work in the main socket and the the test socket, then is it more likely that the hub is the problem rather than the wiring?  The house is about 12 years old and we've never had any issues before.  There are no extensions attached to the master socket so there's very little else to go wrong there.  I just don't want to pay out for the engineer if I don't need to and they're coming on Wednesday.  I'm not hugely tech savvy on this side of the technology so any advice I would be grateful for.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Intermittent internet connectivity dropouts

checking your line for noise using a corded phone from test socket is first thing to do and then try hub in test socket with a different filter to see if dropouts continue  if they do and there is no extension wiring then next would be a factory reset of hub by pressing recessed button on back and holding till lights flashed  when hub reboots remember to turn off smart setup  if dropouts continue then you need engineer and problem outside your home

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Beximus
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks, I will do this next. Where do I need to go to make sure that smart setup is switched off please?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

this will help    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/what-is-smart-setup-on-the-bt-hub%3F-how-can-...

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.