cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Intermittent loss of connection BT Smart Hub Type A

Go to solution

Everything has been fine with this hub for months.  However in the last week I have had the orange light, both flashing and static and any amount of rebooting doesn't cure it.  Connection seems to reappear on its own at no obvious time - though a few hours later.  Have not played with wiring nor any other settings so seems like hub software - but I dont want to pay £130 for an engineer if I can help it.

Also can't access hub on 192.168.1.254 either so there is something definitely up.

Anyone any thoughts?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Intermittent loss of connection BT Smart Hub Type A

Go to solution

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

You could try a factory reset.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Its also possible that the smart hub has developed a fault, as they do seem a bit unreliable according to other peopl on this forum.

See https://community.bt.com/t5/Connected-Devices-Other/DSL-vdsl-link-down-regularly/m-p/1702185#M133900

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks v much - have reverted to HH5 as similar speed but no issues - cheaper than £130!  Just wish they could send me new smart hub without sending out engineer - pay 'em a fortune very month!!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
Can you confirm the issue is resolved with a hub 5? If so this firmly demonstrates the smarthub is at fault and BT will replace the smarthub, if you want some advice on dealing with CS feel free to send me a private message 🙂

If an engineer was to visit, they would report back a no fault found which would result in a charge being raised on your account so it's pointless agreeing to an engineer in this instance.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

@ukhardy07 wrote:

If an engineer was to visit, they would report back a no fault found which would result in a charge being raised on your account so it's pointless agreeing to an engineer in this instance.

BT do not charge if there is no fault found.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

@gg30340 wrote:

BT do not charge if there is no fault found.

It depends if the close the fault as RWT (Right when tested), BT Retail may decide to pass on the charge if there are a number of visits with the same result, as it could be due to something the customer is doing, or their own equipment.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

I was going on information previously supplied by the moderators when asked if BT Customers would be charged if no fault was found and also within the context of this thread.

EDIT: Should in not be the case that if there is no fault when when an engineer calls it should be closed as RWT otherwise the engineer would need to stipulate what the fault was or do they just leave it blank?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

The problem is that BT Retail do get some customers who keep reporting issues which are not really to do with BT. I agree that in most residential complaints where there is no fault found, then a charge would not be raised, but the option to do so, is always been there.

It used to be the case when RWT was entered as a clear code, a charge was raised, but I think the Field Technicians were discouraged from using this code, from what I remember. They were told to use FNF (Fault Not Found) instead.

Bear in mind that every report is kept against the customer`s number, so repeat faults are usually identified and, in theory, a special fault investigation should be raised.

In the case of large business users, the situation is different.

0 Ratings