cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Intermittent service (after new contract?)

I have been on 80Mbps fibre broadband for two years witha Home Hub 5 and have just renewed my contract.  But a couple of days after this my broadband became virtually unusable.  Typically I load the BBC news page but the photos are just placeholders and take 10-15 seconds to populate.  Google searches take 10-15 seconds to come back.  But a speed test shows full 75Mbps download speed.  I have spoken to BT support and they say it's my problem.  But I have two PCs side by side behaving the same.  Oddly some sites (e.g. NatWest) appear to behave normally.  And if I use my mobile phone as  a wifi hot spot both machines behave normally.  I have tried a factory reset which seemed to cause an improvement but it was broken again the next day.

Could BT have changed something as aresult of my new contract?  I don't know where to go next and would appreciate guidance as to how to progress.

Many thanks

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Intermittent service (after new contract?)

Welcome to this user forum.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements

0 Ratings
LittleHelper
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Do as advised above and ring the 17070 number but just to add if all you did was recontract and stayed on the exact same package speeds as before then nothing gets sent off to BTs suppliers for that it only affect their in-house billing system. So if you are having issues it's not because you recontracted 🙂 Let us know how you get on with ringing the number.
0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for your support.  The problem seems quite complex, as follows:

1  I tried the quiet line test and all I could hear was a faint hum/buzz.

2  I have several computers in my household, 2 x Windows 7 64 running Internet Explorer 11 and the latest patches, a Samsung tablet and an iPad (and some Windows XP machines, but ignore these for now as they are retired).  I have experimented as follows:

a)  Both Windows 7 machine load the text of the BBC News website https://bbc.co.uk/news quite quickly but the images can take up to 15 seconds to populate.  A Google search takes 15 seconds for the first one, but is much faster for subsequent searches.  This is very abnormal.  But if I use my HTC mobile phone as a WiFi hotspot connected to the O2 network and connect my W7 laptop to this, rather than my HomeHub5 router, performance is normal with both the BBC new website and Google searches!  This points to a BT problem, I suggest.  I have tried a factory restart of the router with possibly some improvement but the problem came back the next day,

b)  The Samsung tablet and iPad load the BBC news website slower than I think they used to but Google searches are normal.

I should comment that there was a problem with the processing of my new broadband contract in that it apparently got stuck somewhere and needed special attention.  And something was changed as I now get UK based support which I used not to.  I am suspicious that something went wrong.  Am I being throttled in some bizarre way?

Any suggestions for a way forward hugely appreciated.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

If you used a cordless phone for quite line test then a faint hum is normal. If wired phone then that is a problem as is a buzz

can you post stats from hh5. Troubleshooting then helpdesk 

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Progress (I hope):

I tried running network diagnostics on both machines (should have done this earlier I suppose) and it seems my problems are probably IPv6 related.  My HP ProBook had the 'Teredo Tunneling Driver' missing (!) whilst my Dell Vostro did not have the 'IP Helper Service' started.  I have no idea what these do but by Googling for support I have managed to install the missing Teredo service (very good YouTube video) and set the IP Helper service to start automatically.

I wonder whether my problems are due to ongoing IPv6 rollout?  Not impossible I suppose.  In which case I suspect others will also find these problems as they may be the result of manufacturer error.  I will hold the HomeHub logs for now.

0 Ratings
runner_bean
Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I need a bit more advice please!

In a concern for having at least one working computer whilst debugging others I have dragged out a decent but old Windows XP machine.  But when I connect it to my HomeHub 5 it says that it's connected in 'Bridge' mode.  What does this mean, please?  Should I be concerned?

0 Ratings