cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 5

Internet Latency and Packet Loss

Hi,

I am experiencing internet problems. We are having issues with devices unable to connect to certain services intermittently and also latency spikes and packet loss. this all occurs at the same time. We have a Netgear AX12 router have tried a factory resetting it and its had the firmware reflashed. We have a Huawei Openreach modem from when we first had infinity installed. It doesn't matter if the device is on wifi or a wired connection it still has issues. Example a PS4 fails to connect to the PlayStation Network on both wifi and ethernet. I have even factory reset the router and rebooted the modem and only had the PS4 connected via ethernet and I am still getting these issues. The PS4 can connect to a game but will shortly start getting lag spikes and packet loss. If the console is rebooted then you cannot connect to the PSN. I have used Wireshark to monitor internal network packets and there is nothing noticeable from inside the network so I used ping plotter and I am getting packet loss on the 3rd hop. If I reboot the router I get a different route but eventually, I get packet loss as shown in the image. I'm at a loss of what to do next as I don't believe this is an internal issue. The phone line sounds fine and my speed test shows normal speeds 70/16 with 15ms ping but this can change when we notice we are having issues. It makes gaming and streaming impossible.

Packet Loss.JPG

Thanks in advanced

George

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5

Re: Internet Latency and Packet Loss

Hi @nickwilde and welcome.

Thanks for posting. Have you checked your line for noise? If not can you try connecting a phone to the test socket behind the master face plate and dial 17070.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 5

Hi David,

Thank you for your quick response.

I have just checked the line and there is nothing noticeable on the silent line test.

The internet never actually disconnects and the connection is always up its just that certain websites become unavailable which to me looks like DNS so I tried changing the router default DNS several times and I still have the same problems and traceroutes.

Regards

George

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 5

You aren't getting any packet loss at all. When looking at a ping plot or tracert always start at the destination. If everything is OK there then anything inbetween can be ignored.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 5

Ok, thats fine then from the trace route but in gmaes on PS4 it give me a counter and on average I'm getting 50-200ms latency and 12% packet loss until I reboot the router which works for the next half an hour or so and then I get the same packet loss and the latecy jumps about between 25-200ms. This is the same with only the console connected to the router and nothing else on the network. Its the same across multiple consoles/devices.

Regards

George

0 Ratings