cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 12

Internet connection dropping out at random

Using BT Homehub 5.  Internet connection keeps dropping out at random.  Have been sent a  new hub,  have replaced the old cable connecting the hub to the master socket with a new one,  have tried using three  different filters,  have used "test" socket  in the master socket.  Cordless phone works normally plugged into any filter and into  the test socket, (NO noise).  I have zero extensions and use the master socket ONLY. Engineer been twice (apparently) and "done some work" on the  outside  line.  (I saw him up a telegraph pole).

All these make no difference to dropouts or cure the hub from taking multiple attempts to connect, getting flashing amber light and flashing red broadband light.

The event log says things like

PTM over DSL is down after 4 minutes uptime

PPP LCP Receive Configuration Reject

PPPoE is down after 4 minutes uptime [Waiting for Underlying Connection (WAN Ethernet 7 -​ Down)]

PPPoE is up -​ Down Rate=57362Kbps, Up Rate=8084Kbps; SNR Margin Down=8.7dB, Up=11.2dB

BUT the hub stats say -

Data rate:                      6880 / 52512

Maximum data rate:       14625 / 60165

Noise margin:                 11.8 / 7.9

Line attenuation:             29.7 / 20.2

Signal attenuation:          29.7 / 18.4

Data sent/received:        131.2 MB / 567.5 MB

I also notice that when I use a speedchecker or ping, the response time (latency) is typically less than 100ms,but sometimes  between 600 - 800ms and once over 1100ms

I have an engineer booked to inspect inside the house, but in the meantime, would welcome any ideas.

Visited PC world today. they said Sky currently  giving a good deal on broadband

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 12

Re: Internet connection dropping out at random

If you have an engineer booked then no point in making any changes before engineer visit

moving provider will not help as your will have the same copper line from the cabinet to your home and only difference if the router and the name on the DD. Hopefully engineer will solve the problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 12

Thanks for that, but I have no hopes that the "internal" engineer will find anything. That's why I'm seeing if anyone else came across a solution.  As for changing providers, Sky is cheaper, provides fibre optic and may have better customer services.

Genuine suggestions of what the problem might be, would be welcome

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 12

You appear to have covered the normal suggestions to check for connection problems but I would go back and try the test socket with a new filter and see if that stops the drops in connection. When connected to test socket I would check quiet line test again and if still no noise then you need engineer visit or phone 151 and get replacement router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 5 of 12

Thanks again, I have already done all you suggest and a whole range of tests including a new Hub and booked engineer as I previously said.  I am looking for some ideas  on what's causing the problem.

I do know that SNR fell to 3.0 Db at one point which I understand causes connection issues, but I only learned that yesterday.

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 12

many lines now run on 3db especially when G.INP in activated by the DLM

most likely cause of fluctuating noise margin is line noise but doing quiet line test at the precise time is difficult even impossible.  if it is just random then that rules out like central heating boiler and other devices that are on a fixed timer

do you have any electrical devices near the hub that could cause interference?

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 12

the one thing you never ssid was what is cale of random drops in conenction - numerous time a day/week/month?  for example many suffer/suffered from drops in conenction every 14 days - thankfully mine has stopped at present

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 12

@Tim_not_available wrote:

Thanks for that, but I have no hopes that the "internal" engineer will find anything. That's why I'm seeing if anyone else came across a solution.  As for changing providers, Sky is cheaper, provides fibre optic and may have better customer services.

Genuine suggestions of what the problem might be, would be welcome

I don't think so (actually I know they don't ATM). Got a link to that service?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 12

The reference to Sky was rhetorical, meant to indicate my dissatisfaction.  AS to whether sky provide fibre or not I'm not sure what to make of this.

according to which Sky does provide fibre broadband where I live

I started using this site to see if anyone had experienced the same as me and might offer some solution.  Not doing too well as yet

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 12

Still would like some idea of dropping at random frequency

0 Ratings