cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 8

Internet connection dropping until I reconnect constantly

Go to solution

For over a month now my internet has suddenly started dropping its connection every 5 minutes, it works again if I unconnect all my devices and reconnect... repeated... ALL THE TIME. 

It's obviously very frustrating, I can't stream anything on my laptop nevermind to my TV, I can barely even load webpages most the time. I've tried the 'online solutions' like testing my speed (which ironically doesn't load because it drops and then when it works tells me everything is fine). I've checked all the hardware, I've reset the router, I've turned it off and on again a hundred times, I've moved it to a different spot and I've checked that the problem isn't with the devices. Everytime I go through the BT troubleshooter it tells me to check the micro filter or move my router and other such useless advice. 

Anyone have any ideas? 

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Internet connection dropping until I reconnect constantly

Go to solution

can you post stats from your router  if hh6 then advanced settings then technical log information

try quiet line test  dial 17070 options 2 should be quiet and best with corded phone

have you tried using the test socket with a filter to see if that helps?

is the router dropping internet connection or is it the wifi that is dropping - light on hub remains blue

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Hi thanks for the reply,

I don't know where to get stats for the router, could you elaborate? 

The light always remains blue, and the wifi signal always remains 'full', but regardless it fails to load any webpages. If I manually disconnect my device and reconnect it usually will work again for a few minutes and then stops. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

which router do you have?

so it is a wfi problem not router dropping internet connection?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Calumh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution

Try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands.  Connect to the 2.4GHz only.  If possible disable the 5GHz one, and let us know if that works.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56419/~/how-do-i-split-my-bt-hubs-ssid-%28wireless-ne...

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44798/related/1

Message 6 of 8

Go to solution

Splitting the bands seems to have done the trick! Well I am able to connect to the 2.4 and it works well but the 5GHz says 'cannot be joined'. By being on the lower network am I losing Wifi speed/ the advantages of being on fibre? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

providing you device can see the 5ghz network then you should be able to connect.  if it shows in available networks the select connect and it should ask for password then connect

0 Ratings
Calumh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Great stuff.  I had exactly the same issue with a HH5. What router are you using?  On mine the 5GHz was very unreliable.  When I examined it with an android device using wi if analyser app it was like a sawtooth pattern - signal up and down every few seconds.

Ended up buying a smart hub off of the bay. A business version, which was cheaper, but works the same.

You won’t be losing too much speed, and you definitely have more than you used to!

calum

0 Ratings