cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
scottwadeson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Internet connection dropping

I used to have a standard unlimited BT broadband package, until I upgraded to BT Infinity in June. Since upgrading to Infinity the internet connection drops constantly (roughly every 15 minutes). This happens with a wired connection, so isn't just a wifi problem.

I contacted BT help who checked the line and said there was a bit of congestion. I'm not really sure what this means, but maybe has something to do with living in a block of flats. After resetting the line and resetting the hub the problem persisted. I contacted BT Help twice more, but both times they could only reset the line and ask me to reset the hub and monitor over the next 24 hours. Obviously, this didn't work.

BT then sent me a new smart hub and wires, but the problem still persisted.

I work from home and I NEED a constant connection to do my job, so two weeks ago I asked to be downgraded to standard BT broadband, just because I was sick of the hassle Infinity has been causing.

BUT IT STILL DROPS!!

What can I do? I really need to get this solved as soon as possible.

Scott
0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Internet connection dropping

Please post your Home Hub router stats
Learn how from here Broadband Top Tips

Full router stats are key to any speed & connection issues.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 11

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

0 Ratings
scottwadeson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 11

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Hope this information helps identify the problem.

I am unable to test the dial tone, as I don't have a landline phone.

Scott

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 11

You need a phone to avoid a possible charge and to keep the line clear of possible faults, and for emergency use.

If the phone line is noisy or has a high resistance connection, then that will affect your broadband and cause disconnections.

The lack of any current flowing through the wires due to the lack of a phone providing an occasional loop, causes oxidisation at any joints which causes the line resistance to increase. This does not show up on a normal line test.

With Private Circuits it is common practice to allow a small "DC Wetting" current to flow through the line to prevent this problem.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wetting_current

There are quite a few people like yourself that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

0 Ratings
scottwadeson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 11

I have bought a phone and done the quiet line test. There is no noise at all.

What would you suggest to do next?

Thanks

Scott

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 11

See if its still dropping out, now that you have plugged a phone in, and provided electrical continuity.

Ring your phone from a mobile, and let it ring for about a minute before answering it. If there is any high resistance connection, then the high ringing voltage will tend to break that down.

0 Ratings
scottwadeson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

I have done everything you have suggested, and left the phone plugged in, but the wired connection is still dropping:

4.JPG

Any idea what to try next?

Thanks

Scott

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 11

According to the home hub stats, you have been connected for 16 hours.

If your are still being disconnected from the Internet, and the home hub is showing as connected, then it has to be an issue with your local network or computer.

Google Chrome is quite fussy about connections, and will sometimes time out very quickly if it cannot do a DNS lookup.

The message you are seeing implies that you are connected by Wifi, not direct Ethernet connection.

If you are using a direct connection, then turn wifi off, as that can cause conflicts.

To prove it, you could try a different web browser to see if you still lose the Internet connection.

0 Ratings
scottwadeson
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 11

The light on the hub is always blue, even when the internet drops.

I am definitely connected to the internet on via wired connection, with wifi turned off:5.JPG

I have tested on a different browser (screenshot background below) and this is the same as when using Chrome. When diagnosing the problem it says the modem is experiencing connectivitely issues:

6.JPG

This can't be a problem with the computer because the wifi drops on iphones and a mac laptop at the same time as the wired connection to the computer.

Are there any other things I can try?

I really need to get to the bottom of this, so happy to continue to check any suggestions.

Thanks

Scott

0 Ratings