cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LesleyS
Message 1 of 6

Internet connection is slow and Keeps dropping

The speed and service is never anywhere near what BT say it is, and I can’t even watch a full programme on my fire stick without it dropping 4 or 5 times. Every time I call BT they make me go through a pointless exercise of unscrewing my mail plug in point and threaten to charge me if an engineer comes out. Years of rubbish service and connectivity. Think it might be time to change providers. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Internet connection is slow and Keeps dropping

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you checked the phone line to see if there is any noise on the line?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the

Do the lights on the home hub change colour when the Internet disconnects?

Are any other device affected, especially devices connected by an Ethernet cable?

Can you please post the connection information from your home hub by following these instructions.

If you are using the BT Smart hub you can get your connection stats by, Opening a new web browser on your connected device and type 192.168.1.254 or bthomehub.home into the address bar. This will open the Hub Manager.  Click Advanced Settings’ and then ‘Technical log’

0 Ratings
LesleyS
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s a smart hub. Can’t see anything on the links you gave me.

the phone line is quiet and fine. Every device using the internet struggles. The connection is so slow. The engineer who has been out many times says the main box is overloaded and needs upgraded. 

We have a filter and a signal booster. Still rubbish connection. 

0 Ratings
LesleyS
Message 4 of 6

And sorry, the light on the hub normally stays blue but devices tell me no connection available or connection too slow to continue

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

@LesleyS wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I don’t think it’s a smart hub. Can’t see anything on the links you gave me.

the phone line is quiet and fine. Every device using the internet struggles. The connection is so slow. The engineer who has been out many times says the main box is overloaded and needs upgraded. 

We have a filter and a signal booster. Still rubbish connection. 

Which BT home hub do you have?

The information about the main box being overloaded, is not really correct, as if it was, it would only affect speeds at peak time.

Could you please post the results from the BT Wholesale speed checker, including the further diagnostics. This must be done with a device connected to the home hub, using an Ethernet cable.

http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

really need some some stats from your hub  if not a smart hub hh6 then must be hh5 so go to hub manager then troubleshooting then helpdesk and post information ( unless you are using a separate modem in conjunction with hub)

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings