Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DLM94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Internet cuts out at roughly the same time most nights

Hi,

So my Internet has been cutting out every few days since I've been with BT, it always seems to happen between 9:30pm and 11pm. The hub light will stay orange for roughly 5 minutes before recconecting. Is there an known cause for this?

Thanks.

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Internet cuts out at roughly the same time most nights

Hi there @DLM94 

Strange that it cuts out at a specific time, could be a number of reasons.  Is your speed affected at all before this happens?  Maybe interference from something like a timer (heating, lighting).  Is your Router (Hub) ontop of anything electrical or near something that could generate any interference? 

Hope this helps,

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
DLM94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Hi @CJT80,

I don't believe my speed is affected, it's so hard to tell because the cut-out time is so random but I'm certain it's not. Nothing is switching off or on inbetween those times as far as I'm aware. It maybe be possible that the heating is switching off at night during the winter but this has been happening all year round. The only electical thing that is close to my router is a computer monitor.

Thanks,

Dom

0 Ratings
CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

@DLM94

Ok then let's look at another idea, do you have more than one socket in the household?

Is the router connected to the Main/Master socket?  If it is not normal interference it could be a loose wire that just so happens to cause this between those times. Another thought, do u have a phone connected to any socket?  Have you tried a quiet line test?  Ideally connected to the master socket, and with a corded phone dial 17070 and listen for any hissing/crackle noise, it should be almost silent.  If using a cordless phone, you may hear a buzzing noise. 

Just an idea. 

Kind Regards
CJT80
Say thanks by clicking the Thumbs Up icon. Have I resolved your issue? Click "Mark As Accepted Solution"
0 Ratings
DLM94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

@CJT80

We have 3 sockets in our house I believe. 2 have phones plugged in (1 upstairs, 1 downstairs) and the 3rd has the router plugged in (upstairs). I have no idea which is the master though. Quiet line test with a cordless phone is silent.

Thanks

Dom

CJT80
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

@DLM94

Thanks for that. 

OK, let's see if we can find the "Master" socket.  It's usually the 1st one attached to the cable that comes in the property from outside.  It may look like: 

Socket_Type.jpg

1st one is a master with a 3rd party fiter fitted, 2nd is a Master with an OpenReach filter fitted and the 3rd is like number 2, but with no filter. 

Do any of the sockets look like these?

Do any look like this? 

Ext SocketExt Socket

Kind Regards
CJT80
0 Ratings
DLM94
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

@CJT80

We have a socket right next to our front door which I would assume is the master socket. This has a phone connected to it. The closest picture it resembles is the 3rd one.

The router is plugged into an identical socket upstairs.

Thanks

Dom

0 Ratings
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If you take bottom half of socket and connect to test socket behind do you get a dial tone? At one or both?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings