cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Will392
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Internet cutting out on TV and not connection to Range booster

We had a complete failure on our (and next door's internet) which was solved when a BT infinity engineer came and did something to the line or so we thought..... 

Since that point, our connection to our range extender upstairs has stopped working and the tv keeps coming up with errors of not being connected to wifi but very intimitently however enough that the catch up services like BBC iplayer and Netflix don't work on our TV. The HD channels often take a minute to load up before playing live as usual and we can't view the guide or recorded shows sometimes. 

Since this has happened I've spokent to genuinely 40+ people (even though I was told I'd have a dedicated complaints person to deal with) and been told a lot of contrasting things and undertaken all the tests. We've had a new router and range extender plugs sent out which hasn't solved the problem. We've also switched the bands on the router to no avail and the last person I spoke to told me it was a problem with my devices, something I find hard to believe as I doubt 5 phones, 4 laptops and the BT TV box woudl all fail at the same time.... 

Most frustingly though has been the service from BT. I've stayed home so that they can call me when im there to check things and they've not called and then won't pick up. I've tried to cancel the contract and asked for a refund but have been told that can't be done until the complaint is closed. I really don't know where to go next! 

Any advice on what to do next to solve it and/or to get BT to do something would be greatly appreciated!

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Internet cutting out on TV and not connection to Range booster

Welcome to this user forum.

Have you checked the phone line to see if there is any noise on the line?

Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

Are the lights on the home hub changing colour when you get the disconnections or slowdown?

Are devices that are connected using an Ethernet cable, working without any issues?

0 Ratings
Will392
Beginner
Message 3 of 4

Thanks. I haven't checked the phone line as we don't have a phone or cable but it seems like that might be a good next step! 

I haven't noted the colour changing however part of the problem is that the drops are so intermittant, it's impossible to run to the router to check. 

The range extenders say all is connected correctly and don't ever come up with issues. The internet seems to work without issues when plugging directly with an enthernet lead directly into the homehub. 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

There are quite a few people that do not plug a house phone in to check dial tone every so often. This can cause issues with broadband. Also, if one wire has become disconnected (quite common), then that will cause no broadband,  constant disconnections, or a very low speed.

The solution is to get hold of a cheap (less than £5) wired phone, and plug it into the phone socket to see if you get dial tone.

Then dial 17070 (free call)  and select option 2, quiet line test, and see if there is any noise on the line.

If you do not get dial tone, or there is noise on the line, then you need to report it as either no dial tone, or a noisy line. Do not mention the broadband problem, otherwise it will end up in the wrong fault queue, and take much longer to be fixed. There are plenty of people who can fix phone faults, but not as many broadband people.

Once the phone fault is fixed, then the broadband will get better.

Range extenders can be quite troublesome and are not a good solution, but first try this.

Try a factory reset of the home hub.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11386/%7E/how-do-i-reset-my-bt-hub-to-its-factory-set...

Then turn off smart setup.

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44328/~/switching-smart-setup-on-and-off-on-the-bt-ho...

0 Ratings