cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 14

Internet instability after Sky Q install

So I have posted on Sky forums and been tinkering with settings on my Sky Q box and BT Home Hub (HH6 I think). But I thought I would ask here as well. Seems like quite a common issue that folks seem to have some problems with BT Smart Hubs after Sky Q is installed. We only have the one Sky Q box - no Sky Q kit anywhere else in the house. I have turned off 5 GHz Wi-fi on the Sky Q box so it only uses 2.4 GHz but still issues persist. So, as for the issues - wi-fi and even Ethernet connected devices will randomly disconnect for a few seconds throughout the day and sometimes the connection speeds drop very slow. This only happened after Sky Q was installed and as I said, my research suggests it is not a coincidence and that other BT Home Hub users have encountered these issues. I was wondering if anyone else here has worked on this issue? My Home hub is NOT the latest one, and I understand the latest one has even more issues with Sky Q. My young boys are particularly 'suffering' because these little breaks in wi-fi connectivity keep throwing them  out of their multiplayer online games

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14

Re: Internet instability after Sky Q install

have you already split the 2.4/5ghz network on your HH6?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

I thought about doing that but need more advice first:

1. Should I put the Sky Q box on 2.4 or 5 Ghz?

2. And then other devices - laptops phones and desktops (we have Lots of devices as we’re a big family) - how should I divide them up between 2.4 and 5 Ghz?

3. Do I have to do anything with Ethernet connected devices?

4. Turn SMART on/off?

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 14

1. Use trial and error to see which suits best.

2. No need to divide them devices should choose automatically.

3. No.

4. Turn smart set up off.

Message 5 of 14

Turn off smart setup and split networks 

have you turned of smart setup  

Turn Off smart setup

have you split the networks   

Split the networks

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Message 6 of 14

The sky q will use the 2.4ghz to connect to hub mine does. I have a sh2 and sky q 2TB box and 3 mini boxes and don't have any problems all connected using wireless

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 14

I haven’t done these yet because I would like the questions I outlined above answering
0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

If I split the 2.4 and 5 how can devices choose which to connect to, because the 5ghz channel will have a new network name and password won’t it?
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

@Hawkmoon19wrote:
If I split the 2.4 and 5 how can devices choose which to connect to, because the 5ghz channel will have a new network name and password won’t it?

I renamed my SSID and just added a 5 to the 5GHz band, the password is the same for both, just the SSID that changes.

I have a 1TB Sky Q box and a mini, connected to the 2.4GHz band, using the original Smart Hub 1, I have no issues with them or any of the devices connected.

0 Ratings
Message 10 of 14

Is the suggestion to keep the Sky Q box as the only device on the 2.4Ghz channel?
0 Ratings