cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 41 of 53

Re: Internet speed

I think basically what you are saying is that it has took you 4 pages on a forum to understand what esitmated means.

0 Ratings
Message 42 of 53

I sympathize with his concerns regarding BTs online chat upselling to people with questions though.

I contacted them about a possible issue concerning my max sync speed on fiber 1 and they just tried to sell me Halo 3 and more than double my bill 🤷‍♂️

I did manage to get them to concede that would make no difference whatsoever.

P.s. is nobody else interested in what the job requiring 9mb upload speed was?

0 Ratings
Message 43 of 53

Thank you ... I am a she by the way.  

I understood what estimate meant from the beginning although I wasn't trying to be difficult as I was being given different information from BT tech support at the same time.  Their tech support suggested I could solve the problem by by not using wifi and using the ethernet cable. They also suggested that the estimate is based upon network traffic and it will increase when there are a lower number users accessing the internet.  

I think BT should make it more clear really that you will be on the lower end of the graph if you are a distance away from the kerbside cabinet and on the upper end if you are closer to it and that a higher speed is unattainable.

I was considering starting a new thread to go through those routines again to do a healthcare check on my line as I think a fault has been detected from the data.  It is established this wouldn't increase my speed to the required rate and so if I haven't exhausted the patience of the wise sages, is this something I can do lease?

0 Ratings
Message 44 of 53

Many apologies - don't know where the assumption you were male came from. 

If you have been put on a higher bill and you are not happy I think you should have a 14day cooling off period to change your mind?

0 Ratings
Message 45 of 53

No need to apologise.

I declined the offer because there was no change to the tech spec - only more equipment so I was baffled by that.  

If I may, I will come back at a later time for help in interpreting the data about my line.  The imminent need has gone and I will be back if I may for advice about the line.

Thank you for your help.

0 Ratings
Message 46 of 53

The one crucial question you haven't answered is whether there is any noise on the line when you do a quiet line test by dialling 17070. A noisy line is an indication of a fault that will impact broadband speeds.

0 Ratings
Message 47 of 53

Thank you.  It is silent with no noise of any sort.

0 Ratings
Message 48 of 53

Do you get broadband dropouts, your hub uptime was very low on the stats you posted or have you been rebooting your hub in an effort to increase speed.

0 Ratings
Message 49 of 53

No drop outs since the engineer changed the input socked from twisted wires to a jack plug. 

BT "Tech Support" said they reset the hub during the call and I was asked to once day before yesterday.  The line and connections are reliable.

I guess if you live near a kerbside cabinet it is a good selling point now if you wanted to move.

I learned my IT from my telecomms engineer colleagues who installed kit I shipped that provided digi comms and also mobile technology.  I moved on to pc desktop support for software solutions companies and took further qualifications and so it was their patience I learned and passed on.  I have only worked for companies that fixed a problem for a client and never supported anything being bought or changed that wouldn't which is why I had no reason to question what I was being advised.

0 Ratings
Message 50 of 53

I will ask if one of the mods can arrange a DLM reset of your line as it looks as though it has been stuck for some time.

They will post an invite to contact them on this thread.

0 Ratings