cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8

Is BT Hybrid Connect compatible with TP-Link Deco mesh wifi?

Hi all. 

Our FTTP is down currently due to a branch going through the line. We’ve been off for a week now. 

To help us out, BT have upgraded us to Halo for free for 1 month while things are fixed. I have all the equipment here, and I’ve plugged it all in as instructed. 

Things seem to work fine, until I plug the Deco mesh system in. After 1 minute with the Deco plugged in, the EE symbol goes red, then flashing red, then flashing blue, and stays flashing blue. If I wasn’t reliant on the mesh system for WiFi this would be fine, but the BT hub doesn’t cover the whole home.

My theory is, as the deco needs to be plugged directly into the modem, all is fine when the hub is acting as the modem. But when the fibre is down, the hybrid becomes the modem, and the deco is left in the lurch somewhat.  

Does anyone have any experience in getting my setup working, or any confirmation of why it isn’t working?

Troubleshooting already carried out includes multiple power cycles of both units. Factory resets of both units. Wifi on and off on the BT hub. 

Thank you

Tags (4)
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is BT Hybrid Connect compatible with TP-Link Deco mesh wifi?

Hi @jaymorgan25   Sorry I don’t fully understand how everything is connected but please note that the Hybrid Connect is simply a 4G modem extension for the SH2 only. The Hybrid Connect only works with the SH2.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 8

Hi. 

The hybrid is connected to the BT hub via Ethernet. Also connected directly to the hub with Ethernet is the WAN in, the main Deco and a switch connecting several other devices. 

Thank you. 

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 8

Did you ever find a solution  for this?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 8

Unfortunately not. I reported the problem to BT who sent out another halo, but it still didn’t work with the mesh system. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 8

Thanks for getting back to me.

It seems crazy to me that the hybrid connect requires a wireless connection to the router in order to work when the whole point of it (as I understand it) is provide the user with mobile broadband if home broadband is down.

I’m planning to try to set mine up tomorrow and will let you know if I find any work arounds.

You can technically keep wireless enabled on the router and still use a mesh network but it’s not optimal as it can interfere with the mesh wireless network. I do wonder if you could just enable wireless on the router to set up the hybrid connect and then disable it and only re-enable it your broadband goes down and you need to use hybrid connect. My other thought was that perhaps an Ethernet cable connecting the two would serve the same purpose as a wireless connection, although they would of course need to be in the same room, which might not be the optimum location for the hybrid connect for phone signal.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 8

Hybrid connect is just a 4G modem, and cannot provide a routed Internet connection. It need to use the BT Smart Hub 2 to complete the connection.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 8

The OP has the Hybrid connected to the SH2.

0 Ratings