cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 10

Is BT capping speeds in the evenings?

Go to solution

I'm starting to get extremely annoyed with BT.

For a couple of weeks now i'm finding downloads from Xbox live are being throttled down to less than 1Mbps in the evenings.

When you are trying to download a 60GB game this is extremely frustrating.

Streaming services like Netflix work fine. Even on the Xbox and show a connection speed of 65Mbps when doing a test from within the Netflix app.

I'm used to get speeds of 60Mbps to 70Mbps so there is a massive difference. I just can't download anything. I do not want to wait over 3 hours for a measly 4GB file to download or a couple of days for a 60GB game.

Is BT throttling Xbox downloads to save bandwidth? 

If BT don't throttle then does anyone have any ideas?

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

Re: Is BT capping speeds in the evenings?

Go to solution

Congestion.

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Malacath welcome back to the community and thanks for posting.  I'm sorry you have cause to complain but I can assure you that BT don't throttle connections or downloads to save bandwidth. 

It may be worth turning off smart set up on your hub to see if that helps.

Also if you have any other games or apps open on the Xbox it may impact the download this is a by design by Xbox so closing down any games or apps on the console is recommended by them to get the fastest download. 

You also have to take into consideration that the download will only happen as quickly as the server you're connected to will allow so if it's a popular game and many people are downloading it at the same time around the world it's going to slow down.

If you post some router stats and speed test results we'll be able to check if there are any issues on the BT network. You'll get them by entering 192.168.1.254 in your browser, if you have a home hub 5 please go to troubleshooting then helpdesk and if it's a Smart Hub go to advanced settings then technical log information.

Cheers

Neil

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

Ok thanks. Good to know they don't throttle.

I don't have a smart hub so there is no smart setup to disable.

I also don't have any games running in the background.

The speed test in the xbox settings and the built in speed tester in the netflix app both report 65Mbps.

It's only game downloads and updates effected.

If it's not throttling then maybe it's congestion?

I suppose if my area is congested I might be able to fix it by switching to Virgin media?

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

As not using hub then post the connection stats from whatever router you are using

Congestion would affect any downloading at peak times and would not only affect your game downloading.

Up to you if you want to move to virgin

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I think I know what the problem is.

I think either my Netgear router or the Openreach modem might have developed a fault. It's odd how the fault only seems to effect Xbox download speeds though.

I found my old BT Homehub 5A and decided to use that and get the stats. The download speeds are far more stable.

I'm now able to download at a good speed.

Only downside i'm finding so far is the UPnP is not very good so i'm having to use port forwarding for call of duty and it doesn't seem to have IPv6 support.  Small price to pay for good download speeds though.

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

I think you may find it is the Netgear causing the problem.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

@pippincp Is there a known issue with the Netgears?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

I think it is more the hub works as you expect and the netgear has problems suggest there is a problem with the netgear itself

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks. I don't think i'll risk buying a new one in case it's the modem

My homehub 5 firmware has updated twice since I started using it again yesterday.

Hopefully it's more stable than it used to be in 2015

0 Ratings