cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 21 of 95

Re: Is BT limiting download speed?

Go to solution

Good morning @matekaneve and thanks for posting.

@StephanieG  is in the office this afternoon so I've sent her a message confirming your post. She'll be in touch later today.

Cheers

David

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 22 of 95

Go to solution
Thank you!
0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 23 of 95

Go to solution
It's only 5pm and I'm already down to 15-20Mbps...
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 24 of 95

Go to solution

Thanks for taking my call this evening @matekaneve. It looks like this issue may be caused by REIN, as there are no congestion issues at the exchange and our suppliers haven't received other reports about this in the area.

We have an engineer due out tomorrow, and I will catch up with you next week, as agreed.

Thanks

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 25 of 95

Go to solution
Thank you again Stephanie! Will catch up next week. Have a nice break!
0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 26 of 95

Go to solution

Thanks @matekaneve, here's hoping the rain stays away, for a couple of days at least! Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 27 of 95

Go to solution

Openreach engineer (Barry) just left 30 minutes ago. He replaced the mastersocket faceplate to the MK4 type and did something with the cables outside underground. Speedtests came back absolutely fine, with the new socket I gained  about 2Mbps extra juice (actual download speed) as well as about 6Mbps extra Sync Speed. The engineer was brilliant and also said he will try to pop back at about 5-6pm tonight to check if the speed drops again. Fingers crossed everything will be fine! I will post an update here later.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 28 of 95

Go to solution

So far everything seems to be working fine. During the day as well as in the evening the connection is rock stable and and download/upload speed is steady. I hope it will last, "fingers crossed"! Easter weekend is coming up so the "real test" will be that... 🙂 

0 Ratings
Message 29 of 95

Go to solution

@matekaneve thanks for keeping the thread updated, that's great hopefully Barry has got you sorted. @StephanieG will be back in the office next week and will follow up with you to make sure your connection is stable.

0 Ratings
matekaneve
Contributor
Message 30 of 95

Go to solution

Well, it was  all nice and good for 1 day. During the night from Thursday to Friday my router rebooted itself  and the sync speed dropped from 67.5Mbps to 63Mbps, also the actual download speed dropped from 59.5Mbps to 55-56Mbps what I'm  fine with however last night there were again couple of tests where the speed dropped to 40-45Mbps than few minutes later went back up to normal. Also checking the router stats the download/upload noise margin went up to 4.3dB/10dB. Before the reboot it was sitting at 3.1dB/7dB. I assume the speed dropped because of the increase in the noise margin? Do you think something is wrong with the router? The engineer checked all cables inside and outside the house, changed the master socket and all tests came back  absolutely brilliant. Then the router reboots and again it starts playing up. It's not as bad as it was, but still I want to see a constant speed day and night as it was for years up until about 2 weeks ago. Would it worth to check it with a 3rd party router? Would it make any difference? We have 2 smartphones, 2 tablets, 1 smartTV always connected to the hub and during the day and evening netflix, amazon and youtube are in use quite a lot. If it made any difference to use a 3rd party router which one would be your suggestions? My budget would probably be up to about £90. Is there anything reliable out there for the price?

edit: also to mention I tried to change the router cable as well this morning to see if that will give a more stable speed and rule out a faulty cable. I still used the original flat cable that came with the hub and replaced it to a twisted cat5e cable with RJ11 connectors on both ends.

0 Ratings