cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 13

Is BT missing out?

Go to solution

I live in a large village in West Sussex.  Recently ‘BoxBroadband’ has been hard at work installing a new fibre network, and this has caused a fair amount of on and off-line discussion in the village. BoxBroadband are now in a position to offer some very good deals.

I have tried to ascertain if, and when, BT will be in a position to do the same, but have been informed that Openreach have entered into deals with broadband providers to expedite rollout.  The arrangement is that the provider installs the network, and in return has sole access to provision in that exchange area for a period of one or two years.

I’ve been with BT, at my current address, for 45 years.  If I, and others, in the village want FTTP the only option appears to be to dump BT and transfer to BoxBroadband.

BoxBroadband‘s current deals are very tempting, they are cheaper than BT, and provide everything thing that I currently have, including keeping my telephone number.

I’m on the verge of accepting, if I do, in all probability I  will stay with BoxBroadband, and BT will loose me and I anticipate a lot of other customers.

Can anyone confirm what I’ve learnt to be correct, or is there a good reason to be patient and wait for BT to be in a position to provide FTTP.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Re: Is BT missing out?

Go to solution

It's possible that Box Broadband have paid openreach to install the infrastructure rather than waiting for a standard roll out.

This happens in local communities where a regional supplier will take advantage of various government subsidies etc.

Under normal circumstances, there's probably no significant business case for Openreach to install or BT Retail to request an install 

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 13

Go to solution

Only Openreach and BoxBroadband will know the answer to your question.

You can use this form to contact Openreach who may be able to help.

Availability Checker Enquiry | Openreach

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 13

Go to solution

There are a lot of new FTTP providers installing their network’s , especially where BT/Openreach have yet to provide FTTP themselves. Some of the deals are very attractive if you only want broadband and phone. However if you want BT TV with a recording box you are stuck with BT.

0 Ratings
Message 5 of 13

Go to solution

BoxBroadband are using their own engineers to install the network.  Everything has their labels or their contractors on all the vehicles. Even the CBT in the footpath box outside is all labelled up as being BoxBroadband.

I under and that all Openreach Will do, is to check and passes the quality of the work. 

There will be a “business case” when residents start cancelling their BT contracts. Given the interest expressed on local media etc this is likely to be significant. 

0 Ratings
Message 6 of 13

Go to solution

So Box Broadband are installing their own network which at some point will connect to the Openreach network in the same way the other independent fibre networks do... 

0 Ratings
Message 7 of 13

Go to solution

That’s what I’ve been told by BT.  Openreach, being non customer facing presents a brick wall, but there are videos by them on YouTube.  

https://youtu.be/2Ef3iiY3K4s

They’re  a year old and show ‘ZEN’ personal in the video and in the Q and A section near the end discussing this.  I have been informed that the government, due to Openreach’s slow roll out, have sought to open up the process up to other providers, with the consequences I’ve already alluded to.

If you dial 0800 587 4787, ignore the 4 choices, after a short period you will get ringing and get though to BT’s fibre technical dept,  if you’re lucky you will speak with the guy who explained to me that this is a sort of trade off.  BT is concentrating mainly on the cities and big towns and other providers, like Boxbroadband, the smaller towns and villages.  I suppose splitting the provision increases the roll out speed.

After all the shift of the phone service from copper to voip, is scheduled for 2025, and that sounds to me that some people will have to get their collective finger out.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 13

Go to solution

I suspect you what have been told is nonsense, if Boxbroadband (BB) have installed a fibre network it’s got nothing to do with Openreach (OR)  , unless they are using PIA ( physical infrastructure access ) which allows Openreach competitors to to use Openreach ducts, poles and jointboxes, if BB are at least in part,  using PIA , then OR will check that they are using PIA within the contractual terms of PIA , but if it’s BB own infrastructure ( joint boxes with BoxBroadband on the lid for example) , that has nothing to do with OR , if they link their own boxes into OR jointboxes , the interconnection ducts etc could be checked the same as PIA, anyone who signs up will be a BB customer until they leave or BB is bought out by a competitor, but that won’t be BT or OR.

The chances are OR will provide  their own FTTP network in your area eventually, but obviously they cannot build everywhere at the same time …if you switch to this new company, then you become their customer and your relationship with BT ( and effectively OR ) will end,  you could switch back , but if it were inside the minimum term no doubt early term charges will apply,

There will be no arrangement whatsoever where OR will takeover the BB network, or that BB are building the network for OR but are keeping ownership for a period before handing the network over to OR.

OR can and do use contractor partners to build OR networks, but that is OR network from the outset , and branded as such, and when these partner built OR networks  are ready for service it is exactly the same as network built directly by OR, the local publicity etc will call it what it is , Openreach network and the company’s that consume OR products ( BT being one ) will be able to arrange service for their customers.

Will BT miss out if OR don’t provide FTTP before a competitor gets in first and  installs their own network  ?, obviously the competitors are banking on this , the newcomer offering  cheap deals is the norm, they are required in the initial phase to tempt customers to switch from the incumbent’s network, will the price stay low  ?, who knows , will the service be reliable etc, only time will tell, should you switch or wait for BT via OR ?, only you can answer that.

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 13

Go to solution

BoxBroadband or whatever they’re called will be gone in the next 5-10 years if not sooner.

There are now over 100 Alt Nets in the U.K. 

We’re a small Island in the sea, there isn’t the Market for 100+ Network Providers.

What you’re seeing now is a repeat of what happened in the lates 80’s and early 90’s with the Cable Companies. 

Thing is when most of these Companies go out of Business who do you think will end up inheriting their Network?

Message 10 of 13

Go to solution

Hi Iniltous.  My spell check tried to change it to iniquitous…..

I’m on the outside, I sought information from a number of sources.  Believe me doing that was not easy.   OR being non customer facing, provide nothing, and BT mostly don’t know if they are on foot or horse.  I thought I’d reached a logical conclusion, however my mistake was to assume BB were building a network, when in fact the were using OR infrastructure to house it.

Your comprehensive response describes the situation.  BB are using OR’s infrastructure PIA (physical infrastructure access ) as you say.  I accept the rest of your response, and as you’ve alluded to BB can offer impressive deals and BT will loose customers.  Regarding what’s being offered by BB, it’s a comprehensive package. We already have Sky and lot of access to apps films, and programs.  The only thing I would miss is MotoGP.

Thanks Noel 

0 Ratings