Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 5

Is This The Start of The Downward Spiral Again

Go to solution

Hello ADSL Experts,

Some of you may have seen the problems I had been encountering with my connection speed where it had dropped by 20mb.

Details of the previous thread can be found here. 

For 5 to 6 years speed has always been stable around 72/20

A couple of days ago I was pleased to report that BT appeared to have solved the problem by changing the Master Socket faceplate. I am hoping it really has been fixed.

Installed now is a type 6 faceplate from the picture below.

Socket Types.PNG

Prior to the faceplate being changed my HH5 stats we as follows:

Picture 1.PNG

After the engineer had changed the faceplate and reset the DLM  for well over 24 hours the line stats showed the following:

Picture 2.PNG

So far so good. Speeds all back to where they should be.

Now almost 48 hours after the engineer visit at about 2.30 am overnight the HH5 has done a brief disconnect / reconnect and is now showing the following stats:

23.04.20 at 11.30.PNG

As you can see most things have stayed about the same except for the Noise Margen which has changed from 11.1/6.2 to 11.0/11.2

A speed test done just now gives the following:

Speed Test 23.04.20 11.30.PNG

So basically the Noise Margin has increased but the speeds have remained the same.

Some people say a higher noise margin is better others seem to suggest the opposite so it's very confusing.

Is this the start of the speed dropping because of the noise margin increase?

Do I need to get BT back in again?

Thanks for all your assistance.

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Is This The Start of The Downward Spiral Again

Go to solution

no

the higher that normal noise margin of 6db is due to your speed limited to the fibre 2 max of 80mb whereas your line is capable of faster at estimated 99mb

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Go to solution

@imjolly  Thanks for your quick reply, I notice that you are very quick at replying to posts so I thank you for that. 😀

So, just to be clear then....this is all GOOD?

Why would the HH5 have done the disconnect / reconnect?

Curious question, if people have lines capable of much higher speeds than they get why does BT restrict it.

I appreciate that they wouldn't want to give the maximum capability to allow for a margin of errors but as in my case, the difference between connected speed and max speed is 20mb. Surely it wouldn't hurt to reduce that to a difference of 10mb, would it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 5

Go to solution

the BT package like other ISP is limited to 80mb and you won't get higher on normal FTTC  you need GFAST or FTTP to get faster speeds

your connection is just fine so leave it and if DLM makes some minor adjustments then as long as you stay 80/20mb then that is not a problem

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Go to solution

Any idea why the HH5 did the disconnect / reconnect?
Is this normal behaviour?
Many thanks.

0 Ratings