cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starky1999
Beginner
Message 1 of 4

Is it Bt contacting me?

I'm unsure if BT is calling my home on the landline. We have had a problem with slow broadband recently which an engeneer came to fix recently & TBH it still drops out alot. I am getting calls and my 83 yr old mother lives with us, who answers but they asked her to remotely  access the computer on one occaision but saying it was to do with broadband connection.

Ive had a call today on 01436125348 and they said it was head office as its normally a 0800 number when they ring, i answered some questions but asked if they could tell me the date of the last engineer visit or arrange an engeneer visit for this problem and he stalled, now it could just be an incompetent caller from bt but we have alot of strange calls regarding our computer so we are wary. 

Obviously if bt are calling I'd like to speak to them but can't see how this problem can be resolved over the phone and would need an engeneer visit anyway.

How can I be sure its them calling, is there a way to clarify their numbers

thanks in advance

Diane Stark

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is it Bt contacting me?

You did the correct thing by asking questions that a genuine BT operator should be able to answer.

If you are in any doubt what so ever just hang up on them and unless they can give a very clear explanation why they need access to your computer do not give them it although even if they could give a clear explanation I would still never allow access.

If they need to check or change something on your computer, which is unlikely, they should be able to talk you through how to access or change a setting. 

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 3 of 4

No BT support personnel will ask for access to your computer or mobile phone. Support ends at the Hub and cannot go any further.

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 4

Hi @starky1999 thank's for posting, the number you've posted isn't a real telephone number so that wasn't a genuine call. 

BT will never call you out of the blue:

• To tell you your router, IP address or broadband has been compromised or hacked
  • To try and take remote access of your computer or other devices
  • Tell you we have identified a problem with your computer
  • Ask you for a payment and threaten to disconnect your service when you are on the phone to us
  • Ask for your 4-digit card PIN or your online banking password
  • Ask you to transfer money to a new account for fraud reasons
  • Ask for your payment card details over email or Live Chat
  • Send someone to your home to collect your cash, PIN, payment card or cheque book
  • We will never ask you to transfer to a third party such as PayPal or money transfer websites

With regards to your connection dropping out can you post your router stats and we'll be happy to take a look? 

0 Ratings