cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 1 of 14

Is it even possible to fix my speed issues?

I've done some digging and discovered that my address is being served by closest cabinet that is getting a downstream speed of 76Mbps, and 74Mbps on an impacted line, however the exchange is located 2400m away.  

My minimum speed is 52Mbps, however I'm only getting 15-20Mbps.  There is clearly a fault with the coppers outside my premises between my home and the cabinet, however is it even going to be possible to fix the coppers outside my house? I just cant see Openreach doing such a thing.

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 14

Re: Is it even possible to fix my speed issues?

Could you post the connection stats from the hub.

HH6 Advanced settings/technical log.

HH5 Troubleshooting/helpdesk.

Then connect to the test socket with a filter and repost the stats, carry out a quiet line test on 17070 option2 (best with corded phone).

0 Ratings
Message 3 of 14

😒
0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 4 of 14

What's up
0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 5 of 14

I'm saying... there is no fault within the premises, the fault is entirely external, now I've checked and there is only 2 Ohms impedance on the coppers from the house to the t junction, very minimal crosstalk, so the fault is under the pavement between the premises and the cabinet, now do you understand why I don't believe openreach will be willing to fix this for one customer?

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 6 of 14

If you wish for any assistance could you please post the info requested.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 7 of 14

1.png2.png

0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 8 of 14

18db attenuation too, can't be the distance
0 Ratings
Message 9 of 14

What do you mean by T Junction?A T Junction is a type of road that’s shaped like the letter T. Worked in Telecoms most of my working life and never have we referred to any Network Equipment/Cabling as a T Junction.

I assume you’re using a Multi Metre. Where were you Testing from and to?

If Testing from the NTE towards the Exchange you’re going to see the Exchange Conditions so won’t get an accurate reading, you would need to disconnect the line from the Equipment. The only way to do that is to physically go into the Exchange and remove the fuse from the MDF Block or disconnect it using a RUE, which you can only do with a FOS Enabled Number.

If you are Testing from what I assume is where the line comes into your property towards the NTE then the you will see a Resistance Value of between about 1.5 and 2.5mohms, that’s the NTE you’re seeing. You would need to disconnect the NTE and leave the pair disconnected to get a true value of the copper pair.

Is you’re Hub connected to the NTE with no Internal Wiring?

With a Line Attenuation I’d expect better sync speeds then that. It could possibly be a HR DIS but there’s no way to tell from sitting here.

You’ll need to actually report a fault and request an Engineer visit and not just make assumptions that they won’t.
0 Ratings
JoshThomas
Contributor
Message 10 of 14

Thanks for your insight, I have requested an engineer, but my original question still remains I guess, would openreach be willing to lay new cable under pavement? I could only imagine that being a problem with the council?

But yes I'm not all to familiar with all telecoms terms I'm just a student with an interest, what I'm referring to is some sort of piggy backing splitter that's split between my property and next doors, shaped like a T. So you're right I am only testing between this and the NTE.

0 Ratings