cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RKM
Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Is it normal for BT Help to ask for personal details?

I have a fault logged with BT because my Superfast Fibre 2 Unlimited speed dropped from the usual 75Mbps to 5Mbps.  This was diagnosed as a line fault outside of the property and was supposed to be fixed by 6pm on 4th August, and I would be sent an email to let me know the fix was completed.  Inevitably nothing has changed today, and I have received no email so I logged on to track the fault - it still shows as waiting to be fixed.  In fact, I can't even run the BT speed check because it diverts to a page showing that I have a reported line fault.

I opened a online chat with the help desk and after more than an hour of hub reboots, reconnections and more chats ended up communicating with someone called Biswajit.  He asked for my phone number, address and post code - all seemingly security checks to make sure I was who I claimed to be.  However, he then asked for my mother's maiden name and her date of birth!  This is not information that I have provided for security checks in the past, so I immediately became suspicious.

Why would a Help line operator need to know this information and is it normal.

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Sage
Sage
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is it normal for BT Help to ask for personal details?

You may not remember supplying that infomation but it must be there. They only ask random security questions based on the information you have give them.

0 Ratings
RKM
Contributor
Message 3 of 4

I don't think I would have given them information that I can't remember in the first place.  Given that my mother passed away over 40 years ago, her exact date of birth isn't something that I ever need to recall.  I know the day and month, but I would have to check documents to be sure about the year.  That is why I became suspicious: it simply isn't information that I would ever provide as a security question.

Also, as soon as I asked why he needed that information he simply ended the Help chat!

0 Ratings
Oddius09
Aspiring Expert
Message 4 of 4

I've made numerous calls to support with ongoing Infinity dropped connection issues, and for the first time after getting UK call centers I was asked for my D.o.B and mothers maiden name. This was from an Indian call center perhaps the UK ones don't work weekends, as far as I can tell it was genunie as I used 150 to call and they called me back on my mobile with a recognised BT 0800 number. They've only normally ask for name of account holder, and address for which he did; even though I am not the account holder I represent my father.

0 Ratings