cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robartist
Contributor
Message 1 of 50

Is it possible, if so how?

We had our new install from telegraph pole to a 'master socket 5c' with a 'mk 4' faceplate.

This provides both a socket for telephone voice and a socket for broadband via our new super hub

Question:

Is it possible to duplicate this arrangement about 10 metres away. Ideally by somehow wiring from the 5c/ mk 4 to another  5c/mk 4 in a better location? I obviously don't want to move the current 5c/mk 4 because I would have to pay to do that. Also it suits me to be able to plug one phone into this original 5c/mk 4.

My intention would be to plug another phone AND the bt super hub modem/router into the extension 5c/mk 4 in the better location

i.e.

current dropwire---->current master socket 5c/mk4 (with phone plugged in) ---->proposed 5c/mk 4 ( with super hub and phone plugged in)

Any help gratefully received.

And thanks again to this excellent forum.

0 Ratings
49 REPLIES 49
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 50

Re: Is it possible, if so how?

No, can't be done,  the Mk4 faceplate filters the broadband and phone.

You can wire to an extension socket from the data terminals on the master socket and then use a conventional filter at the extension to plug in both phone and router.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 3 of 50

Thanks licquorice.

Would it be possible from the A and B on the 5c to the A and B on the extension 5c? Then it wouldn't be filtered.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 50

@robartist 

No, that is not the correct point.

See https://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/helpandsupport/how-toguides/howtoguides/downloads/NTE5C_Instru...

Connect the data extension as shown here.

Capture.JPG

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 5 of 50

Thanks Keith

I don't know anything about this but I thought that the connection you highlight ONLY sends data. Not voice and data.

So, if I wanted a distant sockets with voice and data then I would only have data if I connected to the point you show.

Or am I completely wrong?

Thanks again

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 50

You should get voice and data at that point, just as @licquorice  mentioned.

Its simply a point just before the filter, but after the test socket. You will need to split the voice and data at the far end, using a microfilter. You would then plug the BT Home Hub, and your phone, into the microfilter.

You must not connect to the a & b at the back, as that is on the external network side, before the test socket.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 50

You are completely wrong. It will be an unfiltered signal, voice and data.

0 Ratings
Sage
Sage
Message 8 of 50

You are completely wrong. The data extention would be unflitered providing phone and data connection that's why @licquorice stated use a normal filter for the phone.

0 Ratings
robartist
Contributor
Message 9 of 50

Thanks everyone.

So, is this correct.

telegraph pole---> master socket for both voice and data (5c/mk4)

then using A & B on back of faceplate (mk 4) take a cable to my 'extension point'

IF I wanted to use a 5c/mk 4 as my extension point would I wire into the back of that extension on the incoming A & B in the 5c?

Thus giving me phone and data at my extension point?

Many thanks

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 50

No, you shouldn't have 2 master sockets on one line. You need an extension socket, master sockets have additional circuitry

0 Ratings