cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rjs200
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 4

Is it possible to move home hub to be connected to Infinity and connected to desktop PC

Go to solution

Hi-

Package = BT Broadband - Superfast Fibre Unlimited 

I have found a few similar scenarios in the previous threads but nothing definitive.

Currently have desktop pc in study downstairs which has master socket and is wired connected to the home hub.

Moving house shortly. The new place has one master socket in lounge and no other phone points anywhere in the property. The study is upstairs!

Reading around- to replicate current scenario- there seem to be three options: master socket shift/ line shift/ ADSL extension.

I am assuming all of these (if possible) will require cabling from lounge up the stairs into the study.

Does anyone know whether all/any of these three options is a possibility. Or- even better- has personally experienced something along these lines?

I dont mind paying for an BT engineer to visit (the activation next week does not require physical prescence of an Engineer).

Thanks

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Starwire
Contributor
Message 2 of 4

Re: Is it possible to move home hub to be connected to Infinity and connected to desktop PC

Go to solution

BT Engineers don’t visit people’s homes, they usually just do Exchange and Core Network Installation and Maintenance.

I know BT sometimes use Qube Communications to do Internal work beyond the NTE but I’m not sure if they do Phone or Data Extensions.

Openreach do NTE shifts and Phone Extensions, not entirely sure on the pricing as I think it’s all changed now. You still need to order those through your Service Provider though.

0 Ratings
lnajr02
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 4

Re: Is it possible to move home hub to be connected to Infinity and connected to desktop PC

Go to solution
If you are not using Wi-Fi to connect in the study , the cheapest option assuming the HUB has a spare power outlet next to it ( not an extension cable) is to purchase a powerline unit See BT shop look for BT Broadband Extender Flex 1000 Kit or if you also require Wi-Fi look at BT Mini Wi-Fi Home Hotspot 600 Kit.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 4

Go to solution

powerline adapters can affect your connection/download speed but are a simple solution to your problem

you could also get  telecom engineer from your local paper to either move master socket or create a data extension upstairs  they are normally ex openreach and cheaper but just not an electrician

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings