cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albertj
Contributor
Message 21 of 36

Re: Is it possible to request a DLM reset?

Go to solution
Can't talk about different ISPs directly on here, I don't think.
But you can view Openreach's list of suppliers here: https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fttp-providers
--
Please press the thumbs up if you found my response useful and mark it as a solution if I resolved your query.
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 22 of 36

Go to solution

FTTP is not the same as FTTP on demand which is a bespoke product.

ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 23 of 36

Go to solution

@albertj thanks, will check the list 🙂

@gg30340 thanks for the clarification.

Will see where I get with the phone call, if is another 'no home hub? No cookies' situation changing ISP might be the only solution at this point.

I did still have a Home Hub last time I called, which I dutifully plugged in - so did I follow all the steps as prompted - and that didn't really yield any positive results.

I lack the required... tenacity and temperance and based on previous interactions they probably know that I am easily dissuaded.

0 Ratings
pompey1898
Expert
Message 24 of 36

Go to solution

Hi @ApoAlaia ,

I read through this thread and would make 3 observations.

1. I may have got the wrong end of the sick, not unusual 😀.

2. Your problem maybe, I say maybe, crosstalk, see here for more information :-

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/2014/vectoring-crosstalk-crisis

3.  I'm not sure if you have grasped the difference between FTTP and FTTP on demand ?

The former is what is readily on offer to people that have it available.  The latter is where the customer has to pay the installation cost and high rental charges as linked to earlier in the thread.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 25 of 36

Go to solution

Your first port of call is to contact BT and report a problem, you are below your minimum speed. They may offer you a new hub if you ask but I doubt that is the main problem causing the low speeds. Request an engineer to check for a fault that is causing the low speeds.

ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 26 of 36

Go to solution

@pompey1898 I think I have now (grasped the difference).

FTTP is what lightningfibre (ISP local to Eastbourne) offers to end users where the infrastructure is available.

FTTP on demand would require me to pay for the rollout of such infrastructure.

Regarding crosstalk even if that was the case would that give BT a 'free pass' to ignore being well below minimum speeds?

@gg30340 I don't really want a HH, I have no use for it, the only conundrum currently is that I don't seem to be able to report a fault or request an engineer without one.

However when I did report the first large drop - went from 77 to 72 to 65 in the space of a year - I did have a HH, I did follow the instructions given by the agent over the phone (even though I knew it was hopeless and the problem was extremely unlikely to be my own infrastructure) and they still did not send an engineer or check the line. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 27 of 36

Go to solution

There is no requirement to use a Homehub. Phone and report a fault and if they refuse to progress it post  back.

ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 28 of 36

Go to solution

Will do either way, this story is not exciting enough to warrant a cliffhanger ending.

Hey, it's been four years since the last attempt, this time the outcome might be very different.

0 Ratings
ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 29 of 36

Go to solution

Just an update on the matter... there was actually no runaround.

A really helpful chap took the call and the engineer has been booked.

He seems to think that there might be an issue with the infrastructure in my home but I am pretty confident that this is not the explanation.

It just doesn't add up that I get the same sync speed if I connect the equipment directly to the master socket with the equipment not showing any signs of malfunctioning either.

Either way I am confident enough to bet the £85 that is going to cost me if I am wrong. Well, that and a large slice of humble pie I am going to have to eat 😄

0 Ratings
ApoAlaia
Contributor
Message 30 of 36

Go to solution

OK, new development...

Without changing anything at all in my internal infrastructure and without even a re-sync (according to the router) was looking at the wrong place duh my speeds have shot up to 65Mbps.

Worth keeping the engineer appointment or cancel?

I am confused; this is the first time the connection speed goes up in six years... until now the only way it knew was down.

Draytek_3.PNGDraytek_4.PNG

0 Ratings