Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Is my FTTC date real?

Hi,

I live in Basingstoke which has had Infinity enabled in the exchange for several years already, but sadly, whilst I live about 50 meters from an Infinity cabinet, the one I'm actually wired into (about half a mile away) is not yet FTTC enabled.

The date posted on the Openreach website for my "Cabinet 20" is currently 31-DEC-2014, but this has been pushed-out several times already - usually a couple of weeks before the published date and usually extended by 6 months at a time.

I'm a technology consultant by trade and I feel like I'm being held in the dark ages by BT.  I can't cope with 3Mbps broadband any longer so I'm considering ditching my broadband and phone line altogether and moving to a 4G service with a 50GB usage limit. 

Before I make the decision though, I would like to hear from BT as to whether the above date is real or yet another mirage that will disappear before my eyes once again?

Regards,

Steve

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Is my FTTC date real?

Unfortunately the information you have is probably the best you will get. Openreach, who are responsible for upgrading the cabinets are not very good at giving out any information.

Have a look at their website

http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 8

Only Openreach know the answer. You can ask them here: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/faq/contact-us-form.aspx
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
If you found this post helpful, please click on the star on the left
If not, I'll try again 🙂
0 Ratings
Max117
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Out of interest, where are you getting cabinet level data from?

0 Ratings
Guru
Guru
Message 5 of 8

Hi Max117,

If your exchange area is being upgraded by Openreach's Commercial Fibre rollout programme (ie not a BDUK funded rollout programme) then if your pcp (cab) is within the commercial programme for FTTC then usually their is a RFS estimated service availability date that will display in the BT Wholesale database http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl also if your area is getting FTTP under the Commercial programme a RFS date will be shown under FTTP.

Unfortunately this kind of data is not publicly known for any BDUK or similar funded programmes.

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
0 Ratings
Max117
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Ah, nothing FTTC/P related is shown in the checker for me. My exchange is in the 'Coming Soon' table on the 'When and Where?' site though.

0 Ratings
basingsteve
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

I suspect the roll-out of 4G will overtake Infinity for most of us in less densely populated areas - it's in my area already.  The current maximum cap of 50GB per month should be enough for me based on current usage and the price isn't that bad considering I'll no longer need a wired phone line, so I'll save on line rental as well. 

It's a shame that BT Openreach are being so secretive about their FTTC roll out plans - it means I run the risk of signing up to 24 months of 4G service only to find that Infinity does reach my cabinet a short time later, but since the alternative is waiting for an indeterminate time with an unreliable 3MB ADSL service, its a fairly easy decision.

I'll give the Openreach contact centre a go before I proceed, but since they don't provide services to end users, I'm not optimistic of a useful response...

0 Ratings
Huwflet
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

TBF I got a quite useful answer out of Openreach about when we might expect Fibre. Not what I wanted to hear but at least it was realistic.

Good luck 🙂

0 Ratings